Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese Elm Trunk Chopped- now what? 5 years 11 months ago #40009

• Curdog1960
  • Curdog1960's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and registered to seek help with trunk chopping a Chinese Elm. I purchased a seedling from a nursery, planted it in the ground, and in three years the trunk reached a diameter of 2.5 inches. I chopped the trunk at about 4 inches after last frost this year, and new buds are forming. Do I move it to a pot now, or do I wait for a new leader to form before moving it? Any additional suggestions would be most welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chinese Elm Trunk Chopped- now what? 5 years 11 months ago #40010

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I would leave it for the season. Ensure you only have 1 branch a the cut, and clean the cut up so that you get a smooth transition between the first and second segment. In pring lift the tree before the buds open, and work on the root structure. THen plant back in the garden, vor another season. You may have to chop the trunk again at that time. Only move to a pot when your nebari and trunkline are ok, and perhaps even wait untill you have the first main branches in place.

www.growingbonsai.net/predicting-bonsai-trunk-taper/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Curdog1960

Chinese Elm Trunk Chopped- now what? 5 years 11 months ago #40016

• Curdog1960
  • Curdog1960's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for the prompt reply, and clarification on what to do next. Have a good rest of your weekend :)

• Page: