Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Grow from cuttings 5 years 8 months ago #43136

• ewillyb
  • ewillyb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Assuming I'm following best practices, what is the success rate of growing from cuttings?

Also, if the exposed leaves look withered, does that mean the cutting is dead? Or is it to be expected that the exposed leaves die but the cutting is healthy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grow from cuttings 5 years 8 months ago #43139

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Assuming I'm following best practices, what is the success rate of growing from cuttings?

Guess what: It DEPENDS!
Which species, which time of the season, how many leaves are left, if a powder rooting agent was used, if they are in good soil, if they need misting or dryness.

Also, if the exposed leaves look withered, does that mean the cutting is dead? Or is it to be expected that the exposed leaves die but the cutting is healthy?

Usually the remaining leaves (or half-leaves, it depends) are healthy looking, and new leaves sprout if the cutting took.

:-) Welcome to the Forum!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackwood

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Grow from cuttings 5 years 8 months ago #43157

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
For everybody else, pretty high. For me, dismal.

I have one cutting that I stuck in the dirt year before last. This year it was looking pretty good and I asked for advice here. The advice was let it grow for at least a year, so I haven't touched it (except for water and some fertilizer). It is doing great, and appears to be spoiling my perfect record.

I am applying the same advice to seedlings. It appears to be working with them, too.

• Page: