Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Game Plan: Growing Japanese Maples from Seed 5 years 6 months ago #45183

• bmrscreamr
  • bmrscreamr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hello. I'm laying out a game plan to grow some japanese maples from seed. I have acquired seeds and am planning the following based on advice I've been given and some reading I've been doing. Any additional tips or tricks are appreciated.

Late-November
1. Soak the seeds in warm water for about 24 hours.
2. I have prepared bonsai soil that is 1/3 lava rock, 1/3 turface, and 1/3 pine bark fines (picture below)
3. Fill container with soil. Seed Containers
4. After soaking the seeds, place each seed approximately 1/4" below the top of the soil line.
5. Water.
6. Put outside.
7. Leave alone We live in NJ, USA and get freezing temps from mid-December through March.

Here are a few things I'm not sure about and would love advice on:
1. Should I use the lids on the seed containers or should I leave them off? We get snow, which I'm told will be fine for the seeds.
2. Should I add soil to the bonsai mix? Should I just use soil to start them? Someone said I could start them in bonsai soil but I have a concern.
3. We won't quite be to freezing temperatures until December. Should I wait until then to plant the seeds to make sure they don't get fooled into germinating before then?
4. Should I keep the soil moist through the winter or just let nature do it's thing (snow melt) until spring?

Thank you for your help.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by bmrscreamr.
  • Page: