repot satsuki

• tubaboy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

repot satsuki was created by tubaboy

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47352
So repotting season is near.. Most guides say that satsuki's can be ropotted in Early spring or after flowering. what are you experiences with this? Is there a better time? I
by tubaboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Leung
  • Thanks received: 8

Replied by Leung on topic repot satsuki

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47354
My experience is that doing it early spring is overall better for the Azalea. The reason being that it will have a lot more time to grow roots and regain strength.

If you wait till after flowering i June - there will be much less time for it to grow roots - plus it has to share the energy with leave- and next year's flowerbudproduction.

Also if we get another summer like last year, the Satsuki will 100 % get stressed due to less roots for water uptake.
Last Edit:5 years 1 month ago by Leung
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Leung.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tubaboy

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic repot satsuki

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47355
In Japan now Satsukis are re potted early in the year. It used to be only after flowering but with climate change the temperatures are too high. I have changed to re potting in spring instead of after flowering as I used to do. The main problem is protection from frost after.
by m5eaygeoff

• tubaboy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

Replied by tubaboy on topic repot satsuki

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47357
I had always been somewhat sceptical of a june repot for plants that belong in more temperate climates. which is why I was considering doing it in the next few weeks.

I hear you about the frost, though.. February was so warm here in Germany, I hope it doesn't get too cold this month again. Thankfully I'm better equipped to deal with it than years past.
by tubaboy