Bonsai forum

New Green Maple how to grow trunk

• jarrell16
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

New Green Maple how to grow trunk was created by jarrell16

Posted 5 years 5 days ago #48570
Hi, I just recieved a green maple it's a tiny little thing, I was wondering how do I grow the trunk. Can I take it from this little pot and plant it in a larger cut barrel and would that work better? Tree is 4 years old.
by jarrell16

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New Green Maple how to grow trunk

Posted 5 years 5 days ago #48572

jarrell16 wrote: Hi, I just recieved a green maple it's a tiny little thing, I was wondering how do I grow the trunk. Can I take it from this little pot and plant it in a larger cut barrel and would that work better? Tree is 4 years old.

if you want to grow a trunk you should get it out of that pot and plant it in the garden. It'll take some 5-10 years.

www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm
Last Edit:5 years 5 days ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 5 days ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jarrell16

• jarrell16
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by jarrell16 on topic New Green Maple how to grow trunk

Posted 5 years 5 days ago #48577
Ok thanks, that was what I thinking just wanted to make sure.
by jarrell16

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic New Green Maple how to grow trunk

Posted 5 years 4 days ago #48585
Different routes are possible.

I am growing a few maples out in the ground for fast trunk development. However, the last few years I have become more appreciative of the trunks developed without larged cuts and I am growing my newer maples in a pot. One member (Or actually, a couple that have a shared hobby: Growing bonsai) of one of my bonsaiclubs grows all maples out in the pot, with astonishing results. Going from the side you have there to a 4cm trunk in 8-10 years.

To do this, they repot every second year, each year in a pot one size up. Always in bonsai pots. They continuously pinch new growth. I went to their place last week and all their maples had been pruned back to the first set of leaves. This results in dense crowns. They found that by doing this continuously they get good trunk development, even in a pot.

This goes against convrntional wisdom. But I am trying their technique now too, This week I trimmed 8 maples to the first set of leaves, and have remove the sacrifice branches I was growing. In the end.. A longer race with a better tree is still a race won. Extra bonus: The tree will look good during the development too!
by leatherback