Bonsai forum

Flame Tree from seed - What are my growth milestones like?

• D-Peets
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Flame Tree from seed - What are my growth milestones like? was created by D-Peets

Posted 4 years 11 months ago #49357
Hi all,

I'm growing a flame tree (Delonix Regia) from seed. My seedling is currently about 4.5 months old and has been doing really well with the occasional light leaf trimming. Recently the leaves started turning yellow and dropping and this has me concerned. Is this a normal part of the tree's development? Should I be doing any root pruning or other maintenance at this point? I was under the impression I should be letting it mature a bit longer before I handle it too much.

My only guess could be that I moved it to a different area of my apartment and the amount of light it's getting has changed, but didn't think that would account for such dramatic leaf loss.

Any input you could offer on what sort of care timeline I should follow would be greatly appreciated. Much of the info I've found online details how to wire, prune, etc and during which season to do it but provides little about caring for a seedling until it's matured enough to train.

Thank you (pictures of my tree to follow)
by D-Peets

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Flame Tree from seed - What are my growth milestones like?

Posted 4 years 11 months ago #49366

D-Peets wrote: but provides little about caring for a seedling until it's matured enough to train.

Perhaps because any seedling before two or three years of untouched growth should not be fiddled around?
by Clicio

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Flame Tree from seed - What are my growth milestones like?

Posted 4 years 11 months ago #49397
dropping a large amount of leaves is not just by moving it around the appartment. COuld it be that is it a lot warmer or colder? If so, you also need to adjust your watering. If it now is exposed to a lot more sun, the risk of drying out is higher.
by leatherback

• Shephered
  • Thanks received: 13

Replied by Shephered on topic Flame Tree from seed - What are my growth milestones like?

Posted 4 years 9 months ago #51040
Please dont trim your seedling. Its a baby, feed it water and let it be.
by Shephered
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marshall