TOPIC:

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50148

• Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
Hey All,
I’m cracking on this Ume and hesitating to order it.

-It is 39cm tall with pot.
-It’s imported from Japan.
-It would be an online order from Germany
-The price still in my range.

- Do you see potential?
- Is still the correct time for trees to shipping?
- Do you have a better mume for sale with shipping to Switzerland?

I would like to place the order soon, so please don’t hesitate to chim in... Thanks in advance :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50151

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hm.. Hard t tell from just one picture. What I see is a taperless trunk, no nebari and potentially a big chop on top.The side branches are on a spot where the trunk seems much thicker than a little lower on the trunk.

That being said.. I also bought an ume this year that I was not completely happy with, because it was hard to find a good one.

Have you seen 360 degrees pictures of it? DO you know what the top looks like?
As it is on the picture, I think it should be in the 100 - 150E price range. But I like my trees cheap.

See PM

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50160

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I like it.
Umes are difficult. But beautiful.

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50167

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you :)

LB, Sadly on this category they don’t provide more pictures. That shop do 360’s with developed, more expensive bonsais.
The price is a bit higher, but you know.. import stuff.

Clicio, I like it too, but looks like LB have a better solution for me :) I trust on him more than on any shops...

According to the circumstances, please if you don’t mind, give a thought for this Field elm which is on the cart now instead of the Ume.
46cm tall with pot, but the questions are the same :)

Last edit: Post by Felidae.

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50178

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Nice fat base, but that's all that's nice about it.
Lots of problems, some hard to fix.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50193

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You’re right, Auk :) Thanks! I focused just on the base... I saw the disproportionate trunk part, but I said, I can fix this. I ran over on the other problems.
Let’s see if this one is better? On that price range, we cannot get perfect stuff, but some have more potential than others.. This one also have some nasty cuts...

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50200

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hm.. Trust is good, but in the end.. We only know each other through a forum! Keep that in mind. The mumes I have in the field are very wild. Tne one you post here can be styled in a decent looking tree much quicker, most likely. (All in the name of full disclosure).

The ulmus.. I would consider layering the straight section and making a separate tree out of it. And then create the tree from the part with the piss arch.

The other is better but not per se much. Look where the first branches on the bottom are placed along the trunk..? That being said.. Give it a bit off time, and pointed trimming and you may be onto something. Apologies for the bad PAINT job.

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50205

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Hm.. Trust is good, but in the end.. We only know each other through a forum! Keep that in mind.

I read your website and here on the forum regularly enough to know your trees. I trust you in that way, but I don’t need any other way to do :)

The mumes I have in the field are very wild. Tne one you post here can be styled in a decent looking tree much quicker, most likely. (All in the name of full disclosure).

I know, but you can see that I like to working with raw. Sure, it’s good to have one or two more “instant” one, but those are likely have much less potential on them.

The ulmus.. I would consider layering the straight section and making a separate tree out of it. And then create the tree from the part with the piss arch.

That was my thought at the first sight, but I really didn’t see the other issues what Auk pointed out. Except the balance, cause with the cut it can corrected.

The other is better but not per se much. Look where the first branches on the bottom are placed along the trunk..? That being said.. Give it a bit off time, and pointed trimming and you may be onto something. Apologies for the bad PAINT job.

The plan looks good! :) With that tree I try to find a better trunk line, not just focusing the base. Need many corrections, but less troublesome than the other?

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50206

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, the second is a much better tree, when it comes to creating a decent tree out of it.

Need opinions on prebonsai 4 years 10 months ago #50207

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

You’re right, Auk :) Thanks! I focused just on the base... I saw the disproportionate trunk part, but I said, I can fix this. I ran over on the other problems.

That is very true - it can be fixed. I actually purchased two trees that are... difficult. I got them from a club member and I wanted them because they were interesting species (one of them an Montpellier maple - it has nice small leaves). So, they will need work but they were 15 euro each, so I thought it was worth it.

The second tree has a couple of problems too - like the branch placement - but it does seem to have a decent trunk and it seems it's better material.

It would depend on the price...