Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Tropical trees outside 4 years 5 months ago #53761

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Once you move them inside, how do you fertilize?

My ficus doesn't ever seem to go dormant, but it does drop a third or so of its leaves and then immediately burst out some more. The baobab just started turning yellow and will probably drop leaves soon, if it follows previous years' pattern. I will then worry about it and panic over bugs until suddenly leaves start coming out again in a couple of months - if I follow the pattern I usually follow. The jaboticaba will muddle along just fine, drop some leaves but keep most of them, then in February start sending out new growth, new leaves, etc., sort of like the ficus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tropical trees outside 4 years 5 months ago #53762

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I will then worry about it and panic over bugs ...

That is the worst.
Inside the trees are infested very easily, lack of wind, lack of a good shower when watering, I don't have any issues with bugs outside and plenty of troubles inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

Tropical trees outside 4 years 5 months ago #53763

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
My Jabuticaba has been inside since it got to my place (But it got to me bare rooted).
Today I brought my raintree inside.

I noticed that my ficus is yellowing. So this weekend it will come inside. Guess I am late this year bringing it in relative to the weather. I was away last week, and it has been raining 24/7 the whole week, apparently.

I fertilize every few weeks. But I do not track. When I feel like the extra effort or something. And if the weather is planning on turning sunny. Or when we will be home a lot with the heater on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

Tropical trees outside 4 years 5 months ago #53880

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Fair is fair..

I checked the weather and this week the first frost is forecast. So I brought my tropicals to a shelter. This ficus clearly had too much cold rain already and should have come in earlier. I have it now in a large plastic sheet to get it to recover a little and not have such dry air directly. See the yellowing leaves?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Tropical trees outside 4 years 5 months ago #53967

• tubaboy
  • tubaboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
I've got all my tropic trees, except my mediteranian oak seedling inside now... I figured, better safe the sorry. I'm happy that the temperatures this coming week have been revised upwards, so that we probably won't get any frost... both the regular weather service and proplanta, a agricultural weather service, say that there won't be any frost... which is good, I have a bunch of things to do before the weather gets too cold.

• Page: