TOPIC:

Jbp overwintering. 4 years 6 months ago #52772

• Tropfrog
  • Tropfrog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Hello

Despite all recomendations not to grow jbp in Sweden I couldnt help myself getting some seedlings. They are grown from seeds that came from the emperor garden. Most of Them is 3-4 years old, but there are one seeded this year in spring.

Jbp is recommended for swedish zone 1 only and The tree is in zone 2-3.

Now I need a strategy for overwintering. I have 3 possibilities.

1: my unheated greenhouse. There are raised beds to dig Them into. But no suplemental Light.

2: my heated greenhouse. Most of the greenhouse stay above zero C. But in one corner it gets Light frost the coldest days. There are no supolemental Light.

3: in my basement, where i overwintering some Tropical plants. The temperature is fairly stable at 4-10 c over the winter and not much differences between night and day. i have good grow Light here and can shoose how much to give Them.

What would you shoose?

Br
Magnus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jbp overwintering. 4 years 6 months ago #52773

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Given the choice I would keep them outside, but unheated if you must. certainly not heated or basement.

Jbp overwintering. 4 years 6 months ago #52775

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Outside is not really an option if I want to make sure they survive. Or maybe you ment the unheated greenhouse? Hmm, i dont know if unheated greenhouse is considered inside or outside.

Br
Magnus

Jbp overwintering. 4 years 6 months ago #52780

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Check what they do in northern USA. I feel that there they get winters similar to Sweden. I am not sure what type of winters you get exaclt but I am assuming deep frost and snow for months? Maybe mulched and covered in snow? Just tossing it in the air, not knowing!

Jbp overwintering. 4 years 6 months ago #52783

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Check what they do in northern USA. I feel that there they get winters similar to Sweden. I am not sure what type of winters you get exaclt but I am assuming deep frost and snow for months? Maybe mulched and covered in snow? Just tossing it in the air, not knowing!

Thanks for the thoughts. When I investigate plants to go into my garden, sometimes zone information is missing for Sweden and I try to use north America as an indicator. For plants that are not sensitive to too little sun and like it wet it could be used as a guide.

What normally kill trees where I live are the excess water october to april and occational strong sun in early spring mars and april if the ground is still frosen. Despite the excess water during the winter the trees dies from thirst

I live close to the ocean. Here is not much snow to cover the plants.

My main challenge is to keep the trees fairly dry. For that the unheated greenhouse might be the best option.....If not the trees can suffer from lack of sun. In that case my basement with addition Lights is The best.

Br
Magnus

Jbp overwintering. 2 years 10 months ago #68808

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Follow up. 2 winters has passed and the last was really hard for my area. Sub -10 for 8 weeks. 3 trees growing in the ground (very welldraining bed) outside made it. 3 trees in pots with mostly organic soil was put in unheated greenhouse for 6 weeks. They started to bud out in mid february when sun hetted up the greenhouse in daytime. Shading them with a tarp helped to slow it down until heavy frost was over. The trees was put outside again as soon as daytime temperature went over 0. They made it thrue good. A friend close to me had his tree outside but well protected from wind and moist, that tree also made it.

• Page: