Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Baby steps 4 years 7 months ago #52839

• skeletor
  • skeletor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi all, just started. first walk today, found this flowering cherry and brang home, put in the garden. while i learn stuff. i was looking at the different bonsai styles but cant see what to aim for.

is there something i should do now? its early spring here.

card is credit card size

cheers

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Baby steps 4 years 7 months ago #52843

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Is there something i should do now? its early spring here.

No, just take care for it and make sure it stays alive and grows for a year or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skeletor

Baby steps 4 years 7 months ago #52851

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
For this tree to become a nice bonasi you will have to be more drastic in pruning it back. If you look at the trunk you see that everything "interesting" happens in the first 2 creditcards of height. Above that, it if really just a bunch of straight sticks. If this were mine, I would cut it at that height, a little over 2 cards high.

This will get you lower buds, which will become branches. As they grow, gently wire a friendly curve in them, then just let them grow. Learn how to clean up big cuts and prepare them for healing. Mind you, with cherrie this takes time (I have been woking on similar height, similar cuts, for about 3 years and am not halfway through closing the cuts).

The new branches you just let grow this year. Cut back in fall to very short stumps and do the same next year and so on. Slowly you will build a nice canopy. The annual cuts will close over the next season. In some 5 years you can have a tree with pretty much all cuts nearly closed ready for refinement in a pot. (Or do the growing in apot, which is what I am doing)
The following user(s) said Thank You: skeletor

Baby steps 4 years 7 months ago #52853

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

The new branches you just let grow this year. Cut back in fall to very short stumps and do the same next year and so on. Slowly you will build a nice canopy. The annual cuts will close over the next season. In some 5 years you can have a tree with pretty much all cuts nearly closed ready for refinement in a pot. (Or do the growing in apot, which is what I am doing)

It would be interesting to see a gallery of pictures of trees like you describe, year one, year two, year three, etc., to see the progression and learn how to look at this year's tree and see ten years from now. Is there any site like this around?

Baby steps 4 years 7 months ago #52861

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Not that I know off. Would be nice indeed

Baby steps 4 years 7 months ago #52867

• skeletor
  • skeletor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
cool, thanks very much, yea im keen for short, shall i cut now?

• Page: