Bonsai forum

Growing bonsai from a seed question

• Ginseng04
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Growing bonsai from a seed question was created by Ginseng04

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #54478
Hi, so after buying a few bonsais who were already a moderate size, I decided to grow one from a seed and one out of three seeds began to sprout after two weeks but I’m confused whether this is supposed to be a root and should I burrow it more under the surface because I don’t see a green stem which should develop in a tree. H elp me figure out which part this is and how I should continue. Thanks in advance! :)
by Ginseng04

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Growing bonsai from a seed question

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #54481
These are the "leaves" of the seed. The root knows to grow down and is probably already a cm into your pot. Over the next days the green part should push itself up out of the soil and they open up more to two oval green thick "leaves". Between them the growing tip emerges.

Unless you are in the southern hemisphere you have not picked the ideal time for growing from seed though. Winter is upon us and during that time it is much harder to keep them happy. Make sure you give it plenty of light and a relatively cool position.
by leatherback

• Ginseng04
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Ginseng04 on topic Growing bonsai from a seed question

Posted 4 years 5 months ago #54482
So I should just leave it as it is right now? And I know it’s not the ideal time of the year, but I ordered a full spectrum lamp that will hopefully provide enough light for the plant.
by Ginseng04