TOPIC:

Urban Yamadori 4 years 3 months ago #55355

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
There is a veterinary office I drive by every day which has three Japanese maples in a patch of dirt just a few feet off the road. One is five feet tall, one three and the other about two. They have been there many years. I think I remember them thirty years ago, and they are really quite impressive.

Next week the city is widening the road.

I am thinking I could go ask about digging the smallest one up, and maybe the three foot. What are the chances they would survive being dug up? A thirty year root ball should be huge and it would be a shock. I could find a place in the yard for the two smaller ones, leave them for a year, and see what happens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Urban Yamadori 4 years 3 months ago #55356

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
I have asked the same question for several different trees to bonsai people arround me. The answere has allways been "approximattely 50%". However, by the small amount of trees that I have lifted myself I am well over 90% survival. For Maples I am still on 100%. However, not that old maples as you are planning to lift.

As allways, with a good timing and good after care the chanses increase a lot.

BR
Magnus

Urban Yamadori 4 years 3 months ago #55358

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I have had no problems lifting trees and getting them settled in. So yes. I would go for it.
Make sure you bring a saw and big branch loppers and a very sharp spade. YOu might be in for a bit. And.. Dig a gully around the intended rootball, so you can move your spade below the tree.

I always clean out the dirt after colelcting deciduous trees. Pot them, protect from frost / dy wind / sun and leave it alone til leaved out.

• Page: