Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

rhododendron cultivation. 4 years 2 weeks ago #56885

• Beiermann
  • Beiermann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hi! I've found myself a good looking rhododendron tree I want to start making in to a bonsai. I'm used to working on pines and beech trees but never anything like this. The tree in question has been growing in the ground for the last 60 years. I'll take it out of the ground and plant it in a good draining typically bonsai soil. Any tips or tricks, of what I should and shouldn't do??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

rhododendron cultivation. 4 years 2 weeks ago #56886

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
I digged up rhododendron last spring. Rhododendron have very fine roots that are not spreading very far from the tree (bush). So they are quite easy to dig up. They like low ph and on the Wetter side. I have mine in a mix of fine spagnum moss, bark and clay balls.

I cannot tell you what soil works best in your climate and for your care. But it need to be low ph and moist at all Times.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

rhododendron cultivation. 4 years 2 weeks ago #56887

• Beiermann
  • Beiermann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Thanks, that helps!! I was thinking the same mix, everything is on the wetter side here. Thinking of mixing up equal parts chopped spagnum, neutral pimpstone and a strange coconut bark that holds water and nutrients very well.

Also on the property there is an amazing old one, with tiny leaves wondering if I can do a graft, that would be cool.

• Page: