Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Old Juniperus chinensis seed stratification 4 years 3 weeks ago #57229

• Badger32
  • Badger32's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone!
I am relatively green when it comes to growing from seed. I have attempted in the past but no success and gladly stumbled across this site. Several years ago I purchased a package of Juniperus chinensis seeds from an online retailer. Through the course of life changes they were left in the fridge and forgotten about. And by forgotten its been 5 years (found them hiding under several bags of hops I was storing til it was warmer to brew outside). I am wanting to plant them and have them soaking in water for the last 14hrs. My question is since the directions state they need Both 60 day warm And 90 cold would I be able to skip past the 90 cold due to them hiding in the fridge for so long? Any advise, suggestions, tip/tricks would be greatly appreciated. ** additional note, since I am in an apartment I plan on using a window ledge green house until they are big enough to pot.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old Juniperus chinensis seed stratification 4 years 3 weeks ago #57235

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
When dry, seeds do not respond to the environmental circumstances. I would vernture a guess and say, yeah, cold strat is still needed. Note that juniperus seeds are slow and unreliable germinators. Seeds may stay ungerminated for many years in the ground.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: