Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New owner. 3 years 3 months ago #64401

• Another1
  • Another1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, I'm a new carmona owner. Any advise, tips welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New owner. 3 years 3 months ago #64407

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132
Read up here: www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/carmona

When still have questions, then ask a specific question.

New owner. 3 years 2 weeks ago #66654

• mombasa333
  • Thanks received: 1
Another 1, I am in the same boat with you. I was gifted the same thing about 2 weeks ago, very excited and have been reading non stop ever since. I am a 61 year old powerlifter, crisis intervention counselor, so I understand patience. But again, being 61, that can be a problem in and of itself in this world of bonsai. Guess you got to get into this game as a teenager.
So, my point is this. Let's just have fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

New owner. 3 years 2 weeks ago #66656

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Nice to see people gettin into it...
Being 61 is not a problem, well, it helps start sooner...
There are many species that grows nicely that you can grow from seeds or maybe your neighboors and friends has some seedlings on their yards from some nearby trees, that otherwise would be trimmed with the lawn or removed as a weed...
In a few years you can have some nice trees, and some experience they led you to aquire...
And yes, the point after all should be you having fun with it.

Last edit: Post by Albas.

New owner. 3 years 2 weeks ago #66657

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Despite being sold as indoor and beginner trees they are far from that. 99% of the Carmonas dies in the hands of beginners. It is a terribly difficult plant to keep in a temperate climate, besides from,placing it inside which is even worse.
First of all, there is no such thing as an indoor tree, not one tree in the entire world lives naturally indoors. There are of course (sub)tropical plants that can’t survive in colder climates but they too have to be placed outdoors in summer, only to be stored in a cool frostfree, not heated bright room, so not in our living rooms that are too dry, lack light and ventilation.
So don’t be disappointed when your Carmona dies ( pretty sure it will), but if you are interested in bonsai, this is a good place to start.

New owner. 3 years 2 weeks ago #66664

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Several breeds of tropical trees' care instructions state they should be kept above 50F/10C which is way cooler than almost anybody thinks of as comfortable. Mine sit in a bay window facing south all winter and do pretty well. The ficus just sits there and grows. The jaboticaba grows leaves after dropping them in the fall. The baobab seems to go dormant waiting for spring and temps in the 80F/26C and higher range.

No, not a natural environment. But, the ficus is 22 years old and grows constantly. You just can't say it will die inside. The other two are at least 10 years old. I do have to pay attention to bugs and clean up dropped leaves.

I don't know anything thing about Carmona. They may be too temperamental, and if nobody here can keep them that could bee a sign. A blanket statement that all trees die inside is incorrect.

• Page: