Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Propagating using cuttings - Placement location 3 years 2 weeks ago #67375

• zos
  • zos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So I just started propagating my first bonsai using some cuttings from a maple tree I found in a nearby park.
I've watch a bunch of videos on how this can be done, but none of them seem to show where to place the cuttings?
My cuttings are all in potting mix and since I don't have a green house, I use a container with some airflow.
Can it be place directly place in the sun? or somewhere that is bright with some shade?
Your advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Propagating using cuttings - Placement location 3 years 2 weeks ago #67380

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Cuttings have no roots and can easily dry out if they get too much sun. In the beginning it is best to keep them quite shady. After a few weeks pull carefully to see if they have rooted. If they have, start a slow transition to more sunny spot.

Or......that is the most common recomendations for best success rate. Once in the hobby for a while you will have lots of cuttings and dont really need all of them. What I do is to plant a lot of cuttings in spring in my greenhouse facing south. Success rate is much lower, but I get more than I need anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zos

Propagating using cuttings - Placement location 3 years 2 weeks ago #67386

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
tip cuttings, in open substrate. Put them in a baggie to keep humidity high and place in bright shade. Once growing resumes you can assume roots have formed. As young roots are brittle, it is best to not disturb them, so no pulling them, no taking out of the pot. Just practice patience.

www.growingbonsai.net/bonsai-propagation-by-cuttings-in-spring/
The following user(s) said Thank You: zos

• Page: