TOPIC:

Manitoba maple 12 years 6 months ago #1778

• Pinkham
  • Pinkham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
So....
Today I was doing a little cleaning up in an "ignored" part of my yard and I found what I think is a Manitoba maple. Rather than mow it over I decided to dig it up. It's REALLY not a great time to be collecting...I normally would advise anyone against collecting trees this time of year, but the tree was as good as dead anyway. It was easy to dig up and I didn't disturb the root ball so it has a decent chance of survival.
Anyway...here it is :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Manitoba maple 12 years 6 months ago #1780

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Thats awesome! The thing is are you going to re-plant it next season? It looks quite healthy to me. It would grow much thicker if you left it in the ground

Re: Manitoba maple 12 years 6 months ago #1789

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Very nice strong seedling. Considering the leaves are happy clappy, the tree should easily survive the ordeal. Not collecting trees in certain times of year mainly refers to the sort of collecting which requires major root-pruning. Seedlings you can move around yearround without any loss if a little care is taken to minimize root damage.

The Manitoba Maple.. Nice article here; torontogardening.blogspot.com/2009/05/ac...egundo-seedling.html

I would indeed consider giving it a more permanent spont in your garden for 2-5 years. Either letting it whip up to a 3 meter tall thin shoot. That would enhance nebari forming (Place the pot outdoors in a sheltered position now. When it has dropped all the leaves, clip a few cm of the taproot, and plant it on top of a tile, so the roots are forced sideways). The other option is to trim it back to 2 'nodes' above where it was last clipped off (pretty much just above the spot where your grey wrapping is on teh tree) and do this every fall: You will still create trunk and nebari, but your scars will be less obvious.

Nice sapling!

Re: Manitoba maple 12 years 6 months ago #1794

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Totally agree with leatherback

Re: Manitoba maple 12 years 6 months ago #1797

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
If you are boing to let it whip up, consider giving the trunk a twist now, so when you prune it back ina few years, the tree has nice character

Re: Manitoba maple 12 years 6 months ago #1807

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi guys,
I think I'm going to use the clip and grow method with this one. Next spring I'll put it in a huge pot with a tile under the roots and let it go. Hopefully it will produce a sacrifice branch down low that I can use to thicken the trunk. When the trunk is thick enough, I'll start working on branch structure.I was thinking this is (at least) a 4 year project :)

Re: Manitoba maple 12 years 6 months ago #1886

• Artmyth
  • Thanks received: 2
I don't think collecting a Manitoba maple this time of year will hurt it. They are unbelievably persistent. I have weeded them out and put them in a bin to burn and they have grown in the garbage can. They seed prolifically and where the seed drops it will grow, on your roof, in your gutter, on pavement, in your other bonsai pots....

they can shoot up 3 - 5 feet in a summer

I clear the ones that got away out once every couple of years and chip them to get mulch.

Re: Manitoba maple 12 years 6 months ago #1908

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The grow everywhere around here too. I could collect a bunch and start doing graft experiments on them. :)

• Page: