Bonsai forum

Bonsai Seedling - Advice welcome

• Nicole12
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Bonsai Seedling - Advice welcome was created by Nicole12

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72301
Hello, I am very new to the bonsai growing community - I was given a 'grow your own bonsai' kit for Christmas and after a few failed attempts, I have two 3 month old 1 / 1.5 inch tall Mountain Pines!

I am watering them once a week and they appear to be doing well, but is there any hints and tips out there to help at this early stage?

The booklet jumps straight from germination to pruning - they are a bit small for that yet!

Nicole
by Nicole12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Bonsai Seedling - Advice welcome

Posted 2 years 7 months ago #72305
Hello and welcome
First of all: you do not have a bonsai seedling but a normal tree seedling. Bonsai seed does not exist. Following this your tree will become a full grown, huge tree if left untouched. Bonsai are created by performing a multitude of techniques, on specific times of the year.,depending on a lot of variables and this over decades.
Secondly: it’s a tree and trees die inside, so if you have your seedlings inside, outside with them asap.
So, specific tips: water when soil feels dry to the touch, not on a schedule. Repot when needed, ( in the right time of the year). Because you have nothing bonsai-ish to do to your seedling in the first 5-10 years I suggest you start digging through this forum and website ( good online lessons btw), YouTube,find a local bonsai club etc..
by lucR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicole12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.