Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Cuttings in autumn/winter 2 years 5 months ago #73267

• Razvan
  • Razvan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 4
Hello,

During spring I have attempted to propagate through cuttings the following species:
- Hibiscus
- Red Maple (I'm not sure about which kind it is though...)
- Chinese Wisteria

Since summer, the tip of the leaves withered (summers can get quite hot here: >40 degrees Celsius peak).
I haven't noticed other changes.

From what I've read, the cutting will gain roots in the current year, but will experience growth starting with the next year.
Question 1. Should I worry about the tips of the leaves? Given that they are deciduous species, I'm guessing that the leaves will completely drop.

I've read that the Hibiscus should be brought indoor during cold seasons. Currently, in October, I have +1 degree celsius during the night.
Question 2: Any tips for Hibiscus/Wisteria/Maple during autumn/winter?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cuttings in autumn/winter 2 years 5 months ago #73268

• lucR
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
DO NOT bring them in your living rooms. Indoor means: protected from cold/frost ( depending on species).
My wisteria ( like all my other trees) stay outside all winter, i only protect them from prolongued deep frost ( -10) by placing them in an unheated greenhouse to protect the freezing winds from drying out the pot thus freezing the rootball complete

Cuttings in autumn/winter 2 years 4 months ago #73281

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
The usual guideline is that tropicals should not experience below 10C/50F. Hibiscus may fall in that category. Most trees in pots do fine outdoors, but some need protection from sudden temperature changes and from drying winds, depending on species and the local climate.

Look up care guides for each tree you have, on more than one site, and see how they fit into your climate. If there is a bonsai club near you talk to some of them and get their advice.

Cuttings in autumn/winter 2 years 4 months ago #73286

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Note yjay hibiscus has tropical as well as temperate species.

• Page: