Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Roots 2 years 4 weeks ago #75145

• Rooted
  • Rooted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
EXAMPLE...olive layered top 600mm with branches mostly defoliated with minor root growth. (Cut a little early and potted)
If I strip half the bark off semi spiral, bottom to top, will that help root growth please?
Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Roots 2 years 4 weeks ago #75146

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
I cannot see any reason to stress a newly removed airlayer like that. The tree needs recovery, not more stress. Not to mention ugly scars that can be visible for long time going forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

Roots 2 years 4 weeks ago #75147

• Rooted
Scaring does not matter, it is a thick branch ...45 mm.....The idea was a very few roots trying to push juice up a fat trunk to the remaining leaves and branches whereas the amount of juice would be more channelled in a strip...

Roots 2 years 4 weeks ago #75149

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
I have never heard anything about smaller pholem layer should be more efficient in transporting water and nutrients.

In my non biolog mind its like a pipe. Big pipes can transport more flow than small pipes. But I am by far no expert.

Roots 2 years 4 weeks ago #75150

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Sapflow frmo the roots to the plant goes through the trunk. So removing the back does not do anything there. But sapflow from the leaves to feed the roots is in the bark. Effectively, you are reducing transport options to the roots.

At this point in time you should let the plant sort itself out and not fiddle with it. Especially such thin branches do not have a huge amount of reserves. Let it be. Olives roots well from cuttings, also if you would have had big branches, and therefor there should be no issue.

Roots 2 years 3 weeks ago #75161

• Rooted
I think laterally and just put it out there. THANKS..another option I could do is strip a couple of branches........its just mucking about. I do have a couple of others...when I cut it off the main trunk, I grafted on 3 or 4 good size roots.

Roots 2 years 3 weeks ago #75178

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

At this point in time you should let the plant sort itself out and not fiddle with it.

• Page: