Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76914

• LegionAlmond
  • LegionAlmond's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
My first post here!

While this project is likely too ambitious for me at this time, I none the less cant pass up the opportunity!

I find myself with 13 or so germinating mango seeds, which I want to try and turn into bonsai.

As I understand the process from my research, I need to set them up on a bonsai soil mix, third clay, third compost and third lava stone, no dust - to restrict root growth for the first year, pruning lower branches to encourage restricted growth. Then after a year re-pot into the final container, wide but shallow.

As I am UK based, I plan to use a greenhouse to maintain humidity and to carefully keep an eye on the temp as to bring them in before they hit a temp below 16 degrees. Some grow lights to ensure they get the right amount of light as well.

Does anyone have some knowledge or personal experience relevant to my project they would like to share?

Kind regards

LegionAlmond

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76917

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Cutting lover branches sounds strange. We normally keep them in order to build a small tree in the future.

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76919

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

My first post here!

I find myself with 13 or so germinating mango seeds, which I want to try and turn into bonsai.

Hello, welcome to thef orum.
Unfortunately I guess you will be frustrated on the long run, mangos are very difficult to reduce in size (mostly the leaves) so they usually don´t make good bonsai.
As you are in the UK, aware that mangos are tropical trees, they will be mostly inside the greenhouse.
Good luck!

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76929

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Hello

I completely agree with Clicio... Mango tree is very likely to frustate you, the leaves are huge, to make it work like a bonsai it should be a huge Bonsai, that demands some knowledge and a lot of time and space even for tropical environments, and you also have this climate issue, so I would say choose something more suitable for bonsai, and for you climate.

Also I would advise to start with smaller bonsai, yes big bonsai are very cool in my opinion, but it's easier to learn how to run if you already know how to walk, so start small...

And well, if you decide to still go for it, good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Last edit: Post by Albas.

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76932

• LegionAlmond
Ahhh okay, dont prune the lower leaves. So pruning and shaping only after the seed has rooted and developed well?

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76933

• LegionAlmond
Are there any known techniques I can apply to the tree? I am mostly aiming for it to produce fruit and be able to be brought inside when the weather requires it, aesthetics are secondary for this project.

Honestly if I can get it 1m or so and fruiting I will be chuffed!

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76934

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Ahhh okay, dont prune the lower leaves. So pruning and shaping only after the seed has rooted and developed well?

Pruning and shaping is years away. If you aim for a 1m tree it is decades away. You have all the time in the world to read up on the topic.

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76935

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Are there any known techniques I can apply to the tree? I am mostly aiming for it to produce fruit and be able to be brought inside when the weather requires it, aesthetics are secondary for this project.

Honestly if I can get it 1m or so and fruiting I will be chuffed!

If fruit is your priority ann aesthetics secondary you are not growing a bonsai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

Banganapalle Mango Seeds - Bonsai Cultivation 1 year 9 months ago #76939

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160
I've seen some mango tree bonsai in China, so good luck. If you have 13 saplings, aybe you can try a different approach to sme of them.
Make your bonsai not to mal, it's difficult to maintain a nice balance between leafs, branches etc.
best of luck

• Page: