Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Nursery Boxwoods and Juniper 1 year 7 months ago #77834

• Gfreak
  • Gfreak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey y'all! Hope this is the right section on the forum!

imgur.com/a/fgUa2wV

I was at the local nursery today and these caught my eye. Were these decent pickups? (for reference they were about $12 each)

Ended up getting this Green moundJuniper and 2 boxwoods, thoughts on them for material?

thoughts on possible style directions on where to go? Or anything I should do the the immediate future? Was planning on letting them grow in those pots until Spring (unless y'all say something different for em would be better lol).

also, Does that 1st boxwood trunk look ok? It looked different then the other but wasn't sure what was going on there lol.

Thanks!
(And if this isn't the right section i'll delete/move. )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nursery Boxwoods and Juniper 1 year 7 months ago #77835

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Please add your oictures to this thread and you will get more answers. Members tends not to click on externa links.

Nursery Boxwoods and Juniper 1 year 7 months ago #77846

• Gfreak
Gotcha, sorry about that! Here they are.

Thanks

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Nursery Boxwoods and Juniper 1 year 7 months ago #77847

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
When it comes to prices it varies a lot based on location. Converted to SEK and compared to my local market that are real bargains. At least if it is NZD or AUD :). The take away from my silly joke is that this is an international forum and dollars can be different things to different people.

If you repot in spring you will have 1,5 years from now to initial styling. Plenty of time to study the trees. You see the tree in 3d, we see it in 2d. But on the photos I see many posibilities for cutting back to upward facing branches for taper. Obviously not straight upward so informal upright is a safe bet. Maybe broom style is possible for the boxwoods as well?

Nursery Boxwoods and Juniper 1 year 7 months ago #77850

• Gfreak
thanks for the response! Yea that's fair on the price thing lol. It seemed cheap to me so either way i'm happy!

Yea like you said plenty of time to think about it haha. informal upright I like the idea of. Still researching all the styles and all while i stair at these on my balcony lol.

do you recommend staying with that plan of repotting next spring, and then pruning the following spring? And just letting it grow in the meantime?

Nursery Boxwoods and Juniper 1 year 7 months ago #77853

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That is the general advice not to do more than one big work on a tree per season. Myself, I always wait one full growing season until the first work. That is to getting to know the specimen. However, I have a lot of trees so allways something to work on anyway. I have learnt that the advice of waiting that long not allways works for eager beginners. In your case it would mean growing it untouched in 2023, repot spring 2024 and initial styling spring 2025. To be honest I rushed away myself in the beginning. Some trees are still with me, some not. I guess killing a few trees is part of the learning curve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gfreak

• Page: