Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Soil mixes? 1 year 6 months ago #78395

• Bamboo Mat
  • Bamboo Mat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3
So reading one of the bonsai books I’ve obtained, it suggests soil type for a Japanese garden juniper to be “a well draining mix of 40% organic matter and 60% inorganic”.

Can someone explain in simple terms what products ( possibly available brands ) I need to buy please?

Thanks, Lee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Soil mixes? 1 year 6 months ago #78396

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Not that I necessarily agree that there are one soil that works for all climates.

My organic part is allways bark mulch.

My inorganic is allways a mix of pumice, lava rock and absorbant clay.

All products I use is made in scandinavia. I do not think it is worth mentioning them. Makes no sence shipping soil components around the world no matter if it is from scandinavia or Japan. Go look for what locally produced options there are around you.

Soil mixes? 1 year 6 months ago #78405

• Bamboo Mat
Thanks for your reply, and appreciate what you say about shipping however the reason I ask is I have no dedicated bonsai shops anywhere near me only garden centres. The best I can find is an all in one bonsai mix that garden centres sell.
Not knowing if this is suitable I’m asking in a bid so that I may order either from a bonsai shop or dreaded Amazon.

Soil mixes? 1 year 6 months ago #78408

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
None of my soil components come from a dedicated bonsai shop. Most of them around here just sell expensive japanese stuff.

Bark mulch comes from my closest garden center. Pumice and lava rock comes from a landscaping business. The burnt clay comes from a company specialiced in supply of machines and consumables used in sanitizing industrial floors and roads.

If your local garden center sells ready mixed bonsai soil and you just have a few trees that sounds like an excellent option. After all most substrates works well if you just adapt your watering to the soil.

Soil mixes? 1 year 6 months ago #78414

• Bamboo Mat
Ok thanks. I’ll look into what I can get locally. After all I have time as I won’t be repotting until spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Soil mixes? 1 year 6 months ago #78418

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
My organic component is used coffee grounds. Basically free, and I generate more than I need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Soil mixes? 1 year 6 months ago #78423

• Bamboo Mat
Now that’s interesting, I too get through a lot of coffee. I’ll start saving it. What else do you mix it with?

Lee.

Soil mixes? 1 year 6 months ago #78441

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Now that’s interesting, I too get through a lot of coffee. I’ll start saving it. What else do you mix it with?

Lee.

I used to get pumice and lava rock, but lately I have been using expanded shale. There is a paving company near here that used to throw it away. The local bonsai shop gets it by the truck load and sells it cheap. I got what will probably last 4-5 years for about $40. I also sift out last year's soil to get rid of roots, decomposed stuff, etc., and re use that.

Soil mixes? 1 year 5 months ago #78486

• Bamboo Mat
Thanks for the information Ivan, I wonder if I could trouble you for a picture of this “Shale” I’m unfamiliar with it however if I know what it looks like then I could investigate possibly obtaining some.

Rgds Lee.

Soil mixes? 1 year 5 months ago #78487

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Shale is a burnt pourous clay. Also called "LECA" light expanded clay aggregatet or something like that. In europe very common in garden centers or diy stores. Used as insulation in floors.

• Page: