Bonsai forum

Quaking Aspen

• Beiermann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

Quaking Aspen was created by Beiermann

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78505
Hi,
I have been thinking about collecting a Quaking Aspen. But due to the root systems on them I am having some second thoughts as to how they would react to being dug up. And of course, how this would impact a bigger plant, sort of taking a link of a chain and so on.

So, do anyone here have any experience with this? Any tips, experience and tricks would be of great help. Thanks!
by Beiermann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160

Replied by FrankC on topic Quaking Aspen

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78513
there is a care guide on the site of Mirai bonsai

bonsaimirai.com/species/quaking-aspen-bonsai
by FrankC

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Quaking Aspen

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78524
My very first book, about 1970, said that collecting a tree was a several year project. First year, dig down and cut the tap root. Disturb as little of the root ball as possible. Next year, take a shovel and slice down into the root ball at three different places, cutting about one sixth of the root ball in each cut, so about one half total. Next year, come back and cut the other three places, and finally take it up out of the ground the next year.

Does anybody have the patience to do it this way?

What I do is in early spring dig it up and put it in a big container, cutting enough roots to make it fit. A year later cut the tap root. A year later put it in bonsai soil and cut a lot of the roots back. After several years, start thinking about training, bonsai pot, etc. It's still a multi year project.
by Ivan Mann

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1360

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Quaking Aspen

Posted 1 year 5 months ago #78526
That is excactly what I am doing on an oak on my propert. Except that I have cut back also two times to get backbudding starting. This tree will be ready to collect 2 or 3 years from now.
by Tropfrog