Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Maple seeds germinate during stratification 1 year 4 months ago #78881

• MatusTabi
  • MatusTabi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, 2 months ago, I bought some maple seeds and put them into refrigator to stratify them. Today, when I was checking them, I saw one of the seeds (acer negundo) stared to germinate. I've heard, that maple seeds will survive only outside, but the problem is, it's mid-December and it's breezing cold. So my question is, should I leave it in refrigator for next one or two months or should I plant it in pot and let it grow indoors until spring?
Thanks in advance for the answers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Maple seeds germinate during stratification 1 year 4 months ago #78885

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
If you had put them outside they would not have started to germinate and you would not have the problem. I think you should put them outside which will stop them from germinating, you may lose one but trying to keep them inside for the next three months is a recipe for disaster. You obviously cannot leave them in the fridge!

Maple seeds germinate during stratification 1 year 4 months ago #78887

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
I would put the one that sprouted in a pot and put it in a spot with sunlight but no heat, maybe an unheated garage window or an outside window sill covered with plastic to allow a little heat from the house. It sort of depends on the outside climate. If you are in Chicago or somewhere with weeks of frost it probably would only survive with the unheated room.

I would also put the others outside and allow Mother Nature to stratify for me.

• Page: