• Page:

TOPIC:

Weather Concerns 1 year 3 months ago #78915

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
As I usual, weather here is going to extremes. We had frost in October, and since then highs at least 60F/15C and lows 45F/7C. The trees have lost their leaves but most of the azaleas are still blooming.

Thursday night the low is 10F/-12C and below freezing day and night for three days. Does that call for bringing them all into the unheated garage? There are a few evergreen with leaves which will come in, but what about the maples and elms? Azaleas?

I would have to rearrange the garage and take a lot of time and that would be inconvenient right now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Weather Concerns 1 year 3 months ago #78916

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
I have had below -10 for six weeks in a row inside my greenhouse where I keep the trees in winter. I have maples, chinese elm and azalea amongst a lot of other species. I don't think 3 days below -12 is an issue. It is longer time freezing combined with strong sun I worry about. Usually happens in february and march around here. If I don't shade the trees they suffer from dehydration.

Weather Concerns 1 year 3 months ago #78920

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I am concerned about the extreme change from +15C to -12C, almost 30C and way above freezing to way below. Usually we just get 3C and rarely 5C.

The soil, BTW, is pretty were because it just rained three days straight.

Weather Concerns 1 year 3 months ago #78921

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
Yes, 30 degrees is extreme fluctuations. If the trees is fully dormant it should pose no problems. On the other hand, it does not harm to protect them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

Weather Concerns 1 year 3 months ago #78922

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My plan is to carry a few inside the garage, near the door where it won't be too warm, and to put most of the rest on the bare ground. There are two that are just too heavy for my back.

I have a major problem in that there are at least four out in the yard to dig up and put into pots, and absolutely nowhere to put them. Maybe the weather will free up some space.....................

• Page: