Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

pine seedling cutting - non JBP 1 year 2 months ago #79340

• dsmathews22
  • dsmathews22's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Has anyone tried seedling cutting on any pine species other then JBP? I've had good success cutting my JBP seedlings and I have a few Jeffery and Coulter pine seedlings coming up I would like to try it on.

I find it hard to believe that this method would be exclusive to JBPs but I'd rather not just cut my seedlings up for nothing.

any experiences would be appreciated.

Derrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

pine seedling cutting - non JBP 1 year 1 month ago #79534

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I have not tried, but woudl recommend you try it on a few seedlings. Curious to hear the outcome. I agree with you, that it is likely others would also work.

pine seedling cutting - non JBP 1 year 1 month ago #79679

• dsmathews22
Ok I gave it a try on a Pinus jeffreyi and a Pinus coulteri seedling. I'll post an update if it takes roots or not. I did the same technique that I've had success with JBPs. Soak the cut seedlings in root hormone water 30 mins and place in akadama surrounded by pumice. Cover with a humidity lid and place on a seedling heat mat.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

pine seedling cutting - non JBP 10 months 2 weeks ago #80474

• dsmathews22
Well the good news is that the seedling cutting for Jeffrey Pine (Pinus jeffreyi) works. The bad news is I was a bit too aggressive with checking for resistance and snapped the root off. I've started a few more since this one so I'll be more careful next time. I did this cutting in Mid March 2023.

The seedling cutting for the coulter pine (Pinus coulteri) I also did in March was completely rotten when I checked on it today. That doesn't mean it wont work for coulter pine this one just happened to fail.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: