Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Split trunk 12 years 5 months ago #2323

• Robert
  • Robert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Ok so i have a chinese elm and it is already split, but the trunks are both growing in the same direction and i was wondering if there was a proper technique to get them to grow apart. I have experimented with wiring, but it wasnt effective. The tree would look great if the trunks were split,please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Split trunk 12 years 5 months ago #2324

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy robert,
i have no expieriance with this ,but i would wrap the lower each part of the split, wrap the unsplit base and drive a wedge between them trying not to increase the split.using electical tape will work. then i would wire each side and wire them down with gy wires to help out the trunk wire.pics would be great also

Re: Split trunk 12 years 5 months ago #2329

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Hey man yes i would agree with manofthetrees. This is a good idea with the wedge as it will keep the tree in two and it will eventually get trained to grow in that manner. But yes, dont push the tree too much at once or the trunk will really start splitting to the tree's detriment

Re: Split trunk 12 years 5 months ago #2332

• Robert
  • Robert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks so much, looks like it should work well :)

Re: Split trunk 12 years 5 months ago #2334

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
i really stess taping and/or wireing the base of the split to minimize contiued splitting. best of luck and keep us all posted

Re: Split trunk 12 years 5 months ago #2342

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Start off by covering the base just below the trunc with raffia, canvas, cocos or any othe rnatural fiber un-stained cloth material. This will protect the bark against too mu marking. Then wire the unsplit section with strong wire, oin nice neat loops. This will stop the split from moving down towards the roots when working on the split section. Make sure the wire cannot slide down.

To create 2 separate trunks above the split, you have a few options:

- wiring (If the first attempt did not work, it merely means the wre was not strong enough. This is preferred, as you can create the shape and direction you want
- Pulling wires (You can pull one side of the trunc down to the pot's rim on the right, the other on the left). This is less favourable, as you do not have a lot of control on the direction
- Inserting a wedge. Not to fafourable, as you will most likely create a somewhat artificial separation
- Inserting a single pushing 'bar' between the trunks. 1/3 up the trunc from the start of the split, push a piece of wood in between, pushing both truns apart. This will create a smoother line in the trunc, as lower down the trunk is tronger, and will move less eaasily as in the upper section: A curve should be formed in the trunk. Make sure to first tape the part of the trunk where the bar is to be inserted, in order to reduce damage.

• Page: