Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: cuttings rooted in floral foam 12 years 1 month ago #4239

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Haha pinkham :D busy is good! My success rate with cuttings is shocking, I got a few to grow new growth but the they died shortly after, i think its the heat we've been having where i live. Only 5 or so cuttings have made it :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: cuttings rooted in floral foam 12 years 4 weeks ago #4328

• Pinkham
  • Pinkham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
The spaghetti squash sprouted yesterday!!!! It's way too early for it to go outside so I brought it to work and gave it to a co-workers 9 year old. He was so amazed...who am I kidding, I was too. The sprout looked like the " little shop of horrors" plant. I'm going to do it again.

Re: cuttings rooted in floral foam 12 years 3 weeks ago #4352

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 17
I think I'll try the egg shell method! By the way, we were discussing seeds from produce, and my orange seeds finally have a little root growing (after about a month.) :D

Also, I know a lot of hydroponics stores sell the rockwool cubes for cuttings and seeds. You can find a lot of hydroponics materials on ebay. Hydroponics opens up whole new worlds in seed and cutting starting! I haven't tried the rockwool cubes yet but if someone else has, let me know how they work for you. They should make a clear medium so I can watch the things grow instead of poking around in the dirt and disrupting them. :)

Re: cuttings rooted in floral foam 12 years 3 weeks ago #4356

• Pinkham
  • Pinkham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
I agree. I cringe every time someone tells me that they check for roots on a cutting by tugging on it. Being able to see them would be great.

Re: cuttings rooted in floral foam 12 years 3 weeks ago #4363

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I agree. I cringe every time someone tells me that they check for roots on a cutting by tugging on it. Being able to see them would be great.

You can. You just watch the new growth spriuting out of the cutting. Except for winter-hardwood cuttings, you know they have rooted when they start growing vigourously again. Wintercuttings have taken if the fresh sprouts stay on for a month or two after bud-breaking.

Re: cuttings rooted in floral foam 12 years 3 weeks ago #4371

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
I wonder if anyone could help me, I took a cutting from an olive about 4 months ago and there is absolutely no new growth on it, but if i scratch the bark its still green underneath. I know olives grow slowly but dam...

Re: cuttings rooted in floral foam 12 years 3 weeks ago #4374

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Our olive tree suffered from a late frost last year and took between April and July to recover: THe first growth only started to appear in July...

Be patient.. :D

• Page: