Bonsai forum

Ficus Religiosa & Benghalensis missing branches

• jhaskins
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Ficus Religiosa & Benghalensis missing branches was created by jhaskins

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5947
Hi Everyone,
This is my first forum post. I have several Ficus Religiosa, and Benghalensis that I have grown from seed. They are now about 3 and 4 foot tall and maybe a 2" diameter around the base. The problem is that none of them have branches, just leaves. I wanted to know if I cut the top most leaf, if that would begin the branching out. Any techniques would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

-Jeff
by jhaskins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Ficus Religiosa & Benghalensis missing branches

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5948
Normally, yes, trimming the tree back would induce buds lower on the stem to start developing, and this would create branching. It is then dependent on the species wether you will get one branch (To replace the top) or a flurry of young growth.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhaskins

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Ficus Religiosa & Benghalensis missing branches

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5949
howdy jeff and welcome to the forum
not familiar with the species checked them out online tho and they have surprizingly big leaves.i couldnt believe they reduced down so much.
i would imagine as LB stated chopping the trunk and removing leaves on healthy trees should produce backbudding it does on all the ficus ive worked with ,but seeing these trees are so big and have no branches yet i really dont know. since you have more than 1 of each tree pick one and chop it to see what happens.could you post some pics and keep us posted
by manofthetrees
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhaskins, AriadneArts

• jhaskins
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by jhaskins on topic Re: Ficus Religiosa & Benghalensis missing branches

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5950
Thank you both for replying. I went ahead and defoliated two of the trees. One of each. I also took a few pictures. They are not that great as its night, raining, and I felt like hurrying up on them. Yes the leaves are quite large, though I had one other ficus religiosa which almost died (had been sitting in a pot collecting rain water with no drainage). I took it to work with me to keep an eye on it, and after a while it grew new leaves and branches, however the leaves were much smaller. I'm hoping the same happens here. I have looked up images of both types of trees and they have been grown as bonsai. I really started them before I got into bonsai two years ago however.

Anyways, long story short, here are the pics. I see I had over-embellished the size of the trunk now that I look at them.

I'm sorry if I posted them wrong however I didn't find any articles on posting pictures in a hasty search I did.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit:11 years 10 months ago by jhaskins

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by jhaskins.

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Ficus Religiosa & Benghalensis missing branches

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5952
I see now. I thought you were going to trunk chop it.
by Pinkham
The following user(s) said Thank You: Janick

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Ficus Religiosa & Benghalensis missing branches

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #5958
pics are fine no worries.i know those as rubbertree plants ... hmmm latex is rubber and ficus make latex so i will duh myself now :blink: . i would give the ones you chop some fertalizer if you havent already and i couldnt tell by the pics,but cut off the top of the trunk (terminal bud) if anything you should get 2 branches on top.if this is all that happens next time cut the trunk shorter.keep us posted
by manofthetrees