Bonsai forum

starting from seeds questions

• strider
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

starting from seeds questions was created by strider

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9974
Hello everyone, I live in Taiwan and have enjoyed bonsai for many years, but have never begun them on my own before now. I looked at the instructions on the site and had a couple questions:

1. I am interested in growing super mini bonsai, some of my pots are less than a half-inch deep. The instructions suggest to use 6" deep pots and move to deeper pots after three years. If I plan on using 1"-1/2" deep pots, what do I need to do differently, if anything?

2. It says to keep the seeds moist, and in the picture they are barely covered with any soil. But they won't germinate for months, right? Do I really need to keep watering them every single day? They wouldn't get this in nature, would they?

Thanks so much, and I look forward to growing with you guys!

-Kaiya
by strider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic starting from seeds questions

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9977
I am not sure what it you want to know, Mame are very small, but they are reduced in size not grown from seed. You must not water to schedule. Check every day but only water when needed. Sowing seed is slow and will still take years to use as bonsai.
by m5eaygeoff

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10

Replied by sikadelic on topic starting from seeds questions

Posted 10 years 6 months ago #9988
What species are you trying to grow? Getting seeds to sprout can be a pain in the butt if you haven't done it before. You want to keep them moist but not TOO moist. It also helps to keep the soil as warm as possible.
by sikadelic

• strider
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by strider on topic starting from seeds questions

Posted 10 years 5 months ago #10000
Well every tree starts from a seed doesn't it? I just want to know if I can plant my seeds directly in these super small pots, or should I grow them in bigger pots first? The instructions on this site for growing from seed are with plans to grow bigger bonsai, I think, so I wanted to know if I need to do anything different for meme bonsai.

Also, do I need to water seeds every day over winter, considering they will not germinate until spring? And also of course it doesn't rain so often in nature so why water so much?
by strider
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prestoj9

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic starting from seeds questions

Posted 10 years 5 months ago #10014
yes you will have to start the trees in bigger pots but not too much bigger . I have some trees started in 2 inch pots and seedling forests (9 trees) in a 4 inch by 6 inch tray 1/2 inch deep. I have had a maple growing in a 1 inch x 2 inch pot for 4 years now never repotted but it has no branches yet. so just like big trees the supersmalls take years to develop also
by manofthetrees
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prestoj9