Bonsai forum

Need some advice

• kidonhayca
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Need some advice was created by kidonhayca

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #11524
I jumped in with both feet to learn Bonsai. I had junipers, approximately 15 years old in my front yard that needed attention. Recently retired, I decided to learn how to Bonsai. I found articles on the internet for instructions (not this website) and began the project. It was a BIG project as they were very dense and the thinning took months because the weather sometimes prevented my work. It looks good. The branches all have growth at the top and I am letting them expand as I continue to create a design. My neighbors all pay great compliments.
My questions is this. How do I treat the new growth that appears on the branches so it does not return?
by kidonhayca

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Need some advice

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #11526

kidonhayca wrote: I had junipers, approximately 15 years old in my front yard that needed attention. Recently retired, I decided to learn how to Bonsai. The branches all have growth at the top and I am letting them expand as I continue to create a design. My neighbors all pay great compliments. My questions is this. How do I treat the new growth that appears on the branches so it does not return?

Is this really a bonsai? It seems they are still in the garden ? Do they have branches at the top only (not sure what you meant with 'the branches all have growth at the top', is that the top of the tree, of the top of the branches?).
That sounds like topiary to me, not bonsai. Not sure if it is - a photo would certainly help.

I'm not sure why you want new growth to not return? Usually new growth is highly desirable, as you need it to improve the design - and to keep the tree healthy. Again, a photo would help to figure out what you really mean.
Last Edit:9 years 9 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kidonhayca

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Need some advice

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #11529
What country are you in? I agree with Auk, we need a picture. Why would you not want new growth? You need to compact the growth not expand it. Buy a book, and read. Not the internet. Join or at least visit a club and see what bonsai are.
by m5eaygeoff

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Need some advice

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #11574
I think we are talking about a different kind of bonsai than the kind discussed on this forum. There is a thing called garden bonsai, which are typically larger than the normal max of about 1m, stand in the landscape, and have pompons on the branches.

e.g., www.tuinbonsai.nl/

(On this forum we deal with miniature trees in small pots)
by leatherback

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Need some advice

Posted 9 years 9 months ago #11584
it must be the case, they still look quite nice but i prefer bonsai (in the case of this whole website).
by bob

• kidonhayca
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by kidonhayca on topic Need some advice

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #12863
Sorry for the delayed response. Let me explain my circumstance. Our city has a very beautiful Japanese Garden with streams and goldfish, benches to sit and meditate, large boulders for design , and paths to walk - you get the idea. For 20 years, ALL of the bushes and many of the trees are trimmed in the 'Bonsai' design and grey rocks cover the ground. It is exceptionally beautiful and photographers visit on a regular basis. I wanted to create a similar design at my home and I am almost done. It has been a long process but is very pretty.

As for the new growth: a 3 foot long branch requires removing/trimming the small branches, leaving only growth at the top. I wanted to prevent new growth from returning in places I had trimmed. I found what I needed - Bonsai Cut Patch.

It has been my experience that one book seldom answers all of one's questions. I thought the purpose of this forum was to have questions answered. I participate in 2 forums - philosophy and theology - for classes I am taking. we pose questions and receive a response and I assumed this forum operated in the same manner. Sorry.
by kidonhayca

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Need some advice

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #12864

kidonhayca wrote: Sorry for the delayed response. Let me explain my circumstance. Our city has a very beautiful Japanese Garden with streams and goldfish, benches to sit and meditate, large boulders for design , and paths to walk - you get the idea. For 20 years, ALL of the bushes and many of the trees are trimmed in the 'Bonsai' design and grey rocks cover the ground. It is exceptionally beautiful and photographers visit on a regular basis.

I'm so jealous...

I wanted to create a similar design at my home and I am almost done. It has been a long process but is very pretty.

I'd love to see photos!

What you are referring too is not bonsai (trees in pots) but Karikomi (a topiary technique). I think Japanese gardens are not really off-topic - I know how beautiful they are, and bonsai is related.

As for the new growth: a 3 foot long branch requires removing/trimming the small branches, leaving only growth at the top. I wanted to prevent new growth from returning in places I had trimmed. I found what I needed - Bonsai Cut Patch.

Bonsai Cut Paste I think? That does not prevent new growth - it's used as would dressing, intended to make the cut heal better (which is an outdated technique, according to many, I don't use it).
by Auk

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Need some advice

Posted 9 years 7 months ago #12874
I would love to see a photo of this project - I have two smallish trees in my garden which would be impractical to dig out and pot up, I'm not even sure of the species but Swedish Whitebeam is my best guess, I shortened them from about 9 feet to 2 feet 2 years ago and have since wired new growth and defoliated to reduce the leaf size, they are starting to look now like proper miniatures. Long way to go yet...

Dave
by ironhorse