Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15143

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Ok, it must be that i bend branches in a simple way as in not twisting, just bending in one direction. As i say, I am not too exerienced, sorry for the bad advice.

So this is actually not the case then:

I do not know about the back-budding thing, however the wiring bit is a different story.

Why is it that you want to come across as an expert, even though you have not worked on more then what, 10 trees?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15146

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 151
i think Auk is right on that,Bob.But my punica granatum i wire lose  because the branches are very brittle and snap when  i wire it too tight.

I am not a expert on pines but the opposite of leatherback i get a better results with   
conifers. I let the wire bite in a bit and then remove them. In my opinion it's useless to work by months because it depends on the thickness of the branch and the weather.

In the summer of 2014 i brought my bonsai to my mother in law and the wire was fine 17 days later i picked up my tree and
this was the result.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15148

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Ok, it must be that i bend branches in a simple way as in not twisting, just bending in one direction. As i say, I am not too exerienced, sorry for the bad advice.

So this is actually not the case then:

I do not know about the back-budding thing, however the wiring bit is a different story.

Why is it that you want to come across as an expert, even though you have not worked on more then what, 10 trees?

I mean it is a different story in the sense that i know more than the back-budding, hardly a lot, but more.

If i sound like i deem myself an expert then know that i am not and do not want to. I was more stubborn when i was younger (maybe i still am that stubborn) and when i started this journey i thought i was an expert and i only caused trouble on this forum. I like to think i have changed, but that is just my opinion, tell me if i have not changed, then i will understand.

Orlando: cool post ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orlando

Last edit: Post by bob.

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15149

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

In the summer of 2014 i brought my bonsai to my mother in law and the wire was fine 17 days later i picked up my tree and this was the result.

Million dollar question.. Have the marks since then started to disappear, and/or do you see changes now that spring is upon us and the bark should be swelling?

I think you know that this is a way to create spiralling shari, if you leave it on untill the bark has almost completely devoured the wire, you can appearently gently create a spiralling shari at the point where the wire used to be?

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15150

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

In the summer of 2014 i brought my bonsai to my mother in law and the wire was fine 17 days later i picked up my tree and this was the result.

Million dollar question.. Have the marks since then started to disappear, and/or do you see changes now that spring is upon us and the bark should be swelling?

I have two white pines:
One of them, same experience. The marks the wires left are almost gone.
The other one I could not wire as the branch I wanted to bend was too thick. I used a branch bender, but had to use so much force (or I was too impatient to do it gradually...), that it made two quite deep dents into the trunk. That too has healed in a few months. Not completely yet - the dents were quite deep - but it seems to continue to recover.

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15153

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I have two white pines:
One of them, same experience. The marks the wires left are almost gone.
The other one I could not wire as the branch I wanted to bend was too thick. I used a branch bender, but had to use so much force (or I was too impatient to do it gradually...), that it made two quite deep dents into the trunk. That too has healed in a few months. Not completely yet - the dents were quite deep - but it seems to continue to recover.

It's healing,but the result is that the swelling  made a reversed tapper.It was allway a odd looking tree so no real harm was done.I did a repott it was a 
cascade and now i put it upwards so I have a year to think it over.Maybe I cut the complete top out of it and start rebuilding it.

This is the last picture. I don't want any trouble with Alain crossing the border in to Spain when I go yamadori hunting in the future. ;)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Orlando.

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15156

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

I don't want any trouble with Alain crossing the border in to Spain when I go yamadori hunting in the future. ;)

Ha... No intrusion taken Orlando! Besides, Spain is a big and beautiful country. I don't know whether this is your first time in Spain or not but you would also agree that trees in here are remarkably amazing. The olive trees are just massive. By the way... What city are you going to visit?

Oh, one more thing... Thank you all for your replies. This discussion has been a very good one.

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15157

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I did a repott it was a 
cascade and now i put it upw

Have you considered Literati style ?

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15166

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Have you considered Literati style ?

I agree with Auk, Orlando... Maybe literati style would be a better choice :whistle:

Alain

Mugo Pine Advise 8 years 11 months ago #15171

• Orlando
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
The last time in Spain was in 2004, on a road trip.We followed the coast to   
Tarifa and than we headed inland.Beautiful scenery and lovely food.This year i am going to slovenia,maybe next year.I want to get my hands on a prunus dulcis.

Thank you all for the input,i am probably going to style it as a bunjin.

Cheers