Bonsai forum

Creating new branches

• Nhpete
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Nhpete on topic Creating new branches

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13617
Good point bob
Having fun is most important for majority of growers,
As stones don't kill plants I am always surprised how people here get so pissy about them.
by Nhpete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Creating new branches

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13618

alainleon1983 wrote: Wires should never cross each other

Not true. Wires need to do their job, and as long as they do that that's OK. Thin wires can cross thick wires without problem, it's even a technique to anchor thinner wires.

Crossing wire for trees that go to an exhibition is not done - as it is unsightly.

Crossing wire is however not advised, as "it does not restrict the sap flow evenly, and causes more callusing at the crossing points, therefore the wire has to be taken off sooner than required".

sources:
www.lvbonsai.co.uk/article-wiring.asp
www.bonsaihunk.us/Wiring.html

As removing the wire and rewiring it also stresses the tree, you need to consider what's worse - just leave it, or rewire.
In this case I'd just leave it as is, but keep an eye on it and removing it when possible.
by Auk

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Creating new branches

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13619

Nhpete wrote: Good point bob
As stones don't kill plants I am always surprised how people here get so pissy about them.

I did not read about people that got pissy about stones in this topic (but I've not thoroughly through all replies), but I can understand why people get upset by them - I know I do.

I don't like being scammed - and that includes being sold inferior products at a high price, under the false pretense it is something valuable. There are bonsai out there there are nothing more than young cuttings in a small pot. To make them look more interesting, like something that they are not (and probably to keep 'm stable), rocks are glued on top of the soil. That pisses me off.

Your stones are fine. If you like it, I don't have a problem with that.
Last Edit:9 years 5 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Auk.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Creating new branches

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13621
the kind of stones i like in pots are the ones compliment the trees landscape, so rocks in penjing landscapes.
by bob

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic Creating new branches

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13622

Nhpete wrote: Good point bob

Certainly, having fun should be of primordial interest. However when people in this forum takes the time to respond and advise on any issue we tend to do so from a constructive point of view, since we expect that someone who reaches a "specialized" forum like this is searching for a new approach to this art, not just mere horticultural knowledge. So, there are certain guidelines or aesthetics principles that must be followed, therefore when we see rocks on top of a tree´s substrate we immediately think in a scam (on the dealer side, of course) or simply the newbie ignorance. Don´t get me wrong, I´m a newbie myself, but I understand that perhaps if we want to take this a bit more seriously we should take our decisions with a solid base knowing what is desired and what is not. Then, if still you want to "brake or bend" the rules in order to have fun, hey... by all means do so, but do it knowingly.

Alain
by alainleon1983

• Judgetribe
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 5

Replied by Judgetribe on topic Creating new branches

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13624
G'day everyone, thanks for all the recent responses to my recent query.

I have taken a fair bit on board and have taken off the crossed wires, bar one.

The stones debate ihas been enlighting and I certainly agree that there are certain principles that need to be followed to ensure standards are maintained. I am slowly getting my head around them.

Regarding the stones has anyone from a tropical region found that having small river pebbles creating a covering over the soil helps retain moisture in the soil. Last weekend saw our temperature hit 41 degrees celicus, and we are still in spring, so it could be a warm summer ahead. It's my personal theory with absolutely no technical knowledge behind it except the trees are still alive.

Any thoughts?
by Judgetribe

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Creating new branches

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13626
Maybe the pebbles cast shadow over the soil beneath therefore shielding the soil from the suns rays and heat waves.
by bob

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Creating new branches

Posted 9 years 5 months ago #13630
Any type of shielding would help I would say. I think if the pebbles are relatively light in colour (whites) it should make a difference.

I have been considering building a bench with a bouble layer: one were the pots stand, and one some 4 inches higher, which would provide a sunscreen, keeping the pots cooler when the sun is on them. However, being in Germany, no real need has yet arisen. But I might still build one, to put above the pots e.g. when I am on holidays and my neighbours need to water them.
by leatherback