Bonsai forum

Pot Size

• bukhari
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pot Size was created by bukhari

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13821
Hello
I'm absolutely new to Bonsai, and like to grow some at my home. The very first thing I want to know is the pot size, what are the maximum and minimum sizes of pots ?
Thank you all
by bukhari

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Pot Size

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13822
The question makes no sense. There is no such thing as a general minimum or maximum.
The required pot size depends on the stage of development of the tree, the type of tree, the creator's taste and other things.
by Auk

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic Pot Size

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13823

bukhari wrote: Hello
I'm absolutely new to Bonsai, and like to grow some at my home. The very first thing I want to know is the pot size, what are the maximum and minimum sizes of pots ?

Hi there,

Well the first thing you should do, before start thinking on pots is to learn the basic care guidelines of your tree. It should be of paramount interest to keep your tree healthy. Now, if you are still concerned with the pot, here I´m leaving you certain guidelines proposed by Naka (Oh... This is not an exact science, and of course you can bend the rules if you think it fits your design better)

1. The pot should be selected according to the tree it will host. Never select the pot in first place and then try to train your tree accordingly.
2. The pot length should be a bit larger than 2/3 of the tree´s height.
3. If the tree´s height is smaller than its width, then the length of the pot should be a bit larger than 2/3 of the width of the tree.
4. The pot´s depth should be in proportion with the trunk´s diameter, namely it should be approximately the same depth as the widest part of the trunk. (Except for trees designed in cascade or multiple trunk styles).
5. The pot´s width should be a bit smaller than the total width of the branches. (Looking at the tree from either side, left or right)
6. Also, the shape of the pot should be directly related to the style in which the tree was designed, or its shape and character. So, curled trunks or those presenting smoother curves should be placed within an oval, rounded, rounded corners or rectangular pot. Also, a powerful tree with a harsh character should be placed in a similar pot.
7. In general, trees designed in a cascade style should be placed in a deep or elevated pot. The length of the tree from its apex to its lower part should never equal that of the pot´s.
8. When selecting a pot for a double, twin, multiple trunk, raft or group style a long and shallow pot should be selected. The proportion between the taller tree and the pot´s length should be taken into account. It should be 1/3 smaller than the height of the tallest tree. In certain occasions, the length of the pot could be selected deliberately larger, in order to simulate an open and wide field or meadow. In multiple trunk styles, the length of the pot should be 2/3 of the height of the tallest tree.
9. The pot for growing over rock style should be similar to that of the multiple trunk style, except that its look should harmonize in size and color with those of the rock´s in which the tree is planted.
10. A pot for Bunjingi style can and should be extremely small, rounded and shallow, in order to properly highlight the tree. Homemade pottery is desired if is not colored.
11. Most of the deciduous or wide leaf evergreen trees can be planted in a glazed pots. Just select the color according to the leaves, flowers, fruits, etc. Pastel colors should be used for spring flowers and a dark color should be the choice for a tree with beautiful autumn colors.
12. For conifers, as well as deciduous trees; antique glazed pots from Corea, China or Japan can be used. Also, it is always allowed to use unglazed pots for deciduous trees.

Well, I know there are a lot of aspects to take into account (according to Naka), but as I said, rules can be bend and this is not, in any way, an exact science. I just hope I might have been of help,

Alain
Last Edit:9 years 4 months ago by alainleon1983
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by alainleon1983.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SassKwatch, bukhari

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13824
Sorry, in my previous post I left one issue out... So, I´m reposting it here

13. A tree can be planted on top of a rock (growing in a rock style) ann the rock replacing the pot should fulfill these requirements:
* It should be a hard rock with a harsh surface.
* The color should selected according to the rock. Darker colors (brown, dark red, black) are preferred over lighter colors.
* The size and shape of the rock should not take over the tree. Symmetric shapes (rounded, square, triangular) should not be used.
* The size, length, width and depth should be similar of those of a pot.

Alain
The following user(s) said Thank You: bukhari, Cnetski

• SassKwatch
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by SassKwatch on topic Pot Size

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13825
Alain. Another 'newbie' here who would like to thank you for that terrific set of guidelines!

Does the type of tree significantly impact the choice of pot? That is.....some trees put down very deep tap roots in their native environment while others have a fairly shallow root system. If we were to choose one of the former, say an oak, should that influence our pot selection?

Thanks!
by SassKwatch

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72

Replied by ironhorse on topic Pot Size

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13827
Tap roots which as you say occur normally in the wild aren't needed for potted trees and part of the (long) development period of a bonsai is root pruning including removal of said tap roots. A deeper or shallower pot is down to the grower's preference.

Dave
by ironhorse
The following user(s) said Thank You: SassKwatch

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Pot Size

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13828

alainleon1983 wrote: I´m leaving you certain guidelines proposed by Naka

These are guidelines for 'completed' bonsai, not for bonsai that you are growing, and certainly not for an absolute beginner.
Last Edit:9 years 4 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Auk.

• bukhari
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by bukhari on topic Pot Size

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13830
Alain Thankyou for so detailed and informative replies
by bukhari

• bukhari
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by bukhari on topic Pot Size

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13831
sorry for that but as i stated I am new to it, I thought they might be sowing seeds in pots to create a bonsai as I see in pictures.
by bukhari

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13835

Auk wrote: These are guidelines for 'completed' bonsai, not for bonsai that you are growing, and certainly not for an absolute beginner.

Yep, you are right and I absolutely agree. That is why I recommended that the first, second and last worry should be now to properly taking care of the tree and to ensure maintaining its good health. Now, that said, I also believe that the general requirements of bonsai pots is good quality info and, in a future, it might help a lot those of us who are still in the beginnings ;)

Alain