Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Quercus Ilex Info 9 years 4 months ago #13928

• Mikey
  • Thanks received: 0
I've had a little sapling growing in the UK for about 3/4 years, tough as old boots they are. Yes they are evergreen, I too found next to no info about them. Best thing I found was Quercus Encina on spanish forum, I think somebody posted the link. Mine is just growing out so I can't tell you much else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quercus Ilex Info 9 years 4 months ago #13929

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
Hey Orlando... Thanks man. This is a more specific guide alright. Thumbs up! The only problem I see is that it is written in Spanish and even if that ´s not a problem to me, other users in this forum won´t be able to understand it. So, I´ll take a shot at it and will attempt to translate it in here. There it goes:

Scientific Name: Quercus Ilex
Common name: Holm Oak
Family: Fagaceae
Origen: Mediterranean Region

This is a long-lived tree with a slow growth rate. His appearance is robust and leafy, and are trained to withstand the harshest climatic changes between different seasons.

Leaves: Persistent, simple, alternate leaves, fitted with a short petiole, oval-oblong, with entire or serrated edge, mucronate; the upper surface is smooth, glossy with a dark green color, while the bottom exhibits a greenish-gray color.

Fruits: Achene fruits are shaped (acorn), protected in part by a hemispherical dome.

Position: Place it in the sun, in hot, dry environments.

Temperatures: It endures well cold temperatures, even frost. However, the roots may resent being in a small space when frosts are present.

Humidity: Spray leaves to clean it.

Substrate: Grit, peat and akadama equally divided. (Here, of course, we can and probably take a different approach ;) )

Watering: Only when the substrate is dry. It is not demanding in water. Care must be taken that has good drainage.

Feeding: It will be done every 30 days, from late spring to early summer, and a few times in autumn. (Here we might differ as well)

Pruning: Prune the branches in spring, before the plant resumes its activity, and in late spring and early summer. Shorten the new growth, leaving the length of two leaves. When strong pruning is carried out, make sure to leave some fine branches to ensure the plant won´t remove sap from some of these branches. It is advisable to brush the trunk of the tree if green spots start to proliferate due to excess of moisture.

Wiring: Young branches bend easily, but the bark can be damaged with the wire, so, care must be taken while wiring and protection must be supplied by using raffia. The growth direction is achieved by pruning due to its slow evolution and hardness of the wood makes the wiring process difficult.

Repotting: The growth of the holm oak is slow, so it is recommended to transplant every three years or more. The appropriated time to do so is late winter or early spring. The root system of the holm oaks is very sensitive, since their roots are thin and brittle and their slow growth diminishes its resilience. The length of the main root must be shorten in different and successive interventions and is performed while repotting the tree. If pruning of the roots is done in a thorough way, a complete defoliation to promote compactness must be performed. Avoid repotting when the tree does not enjoy a good health, unless the cause of that state were some root problem. Do not wash the roots with water. Repot in a substrate based on a mixed composed by 60% mulch, 10% peat and 30% coarse grit or an equivalent material. Do not expose to sunlight after repotting. Keep it in dark place for a few days.

Pests and Diseases: Mainly affected by the fungus Oidium. It manifests itself as a white powder. Place the specimen in a dry place, diminishes the risk of infection and apply a suitable fungicide. Remove infected leaves.

Propagation: Seeds germinate easily, but due to its slow growth, the trunk might take many years to acquire an attractive appearance. So, this is not a recommended propagation method for most bonsai enthusiasts.

Quercus Ilex Info 9 years 4 months ago #13930

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

As it is a Med species I wonder if it hardy here or would need frost protection,

Geoff, after reading Orlando´s link I believe they are hardy and won´t need frost protection... Perhaps, just the roots if temps fall too much.

Alain

Quercus Ilex Info 9 years 4 months ago #13937

• SassKwatch
  • Thanks received: 1
Interestingly enough, when I Google 'Quercus ilex Bonsai', one of the first links I'm presented leads right back to this site.....

www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/quercus-ilex

Quercus Ilex Info 9 years 4 months ago #13938

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Interestingly enough, when I Google 'Quercus ilex Bonsai', one of the first links I'm presented leads right back to this site.....

www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/quercus-ilex

Hi SassKwatch,

Yes, I´ve also found that entry in my quest for Quercus Ilex info. But you´ll see, that thread is more a progression or advanced styling than a care guide. Sure, once a specimen is stablished it will remain quite useful and I´m keeping it for my personal references. Now, that said, it involves little to none info about basic care and being a rookie as I´am it is not as useful as I would have needed to be.

But thanks anyway man. It is appreciated!

Alain

Quercus Ilex Info 9 years 4 months ago #13943

• SassKwatch
  • Thanks received: 1

Hi SassKwatch,

Yes, I´ve also found that entry in my quest for Quercus Ilex info. But you´ll see, that thread is more a progression or advanced styling than a care guide. Sure, once a specimen is stablished it will remain quite useful and I´m keeping it for my personal references. Now, that said, it involves little to none info about basic care and being a rookie as I´am it is not as useful as I would have needed to be.

But thanks anyway man. It is appreciated!

Alain

My bad. I overlooked that you were looking for tree specific care info. I'll crawl back in my cave now. :)

It is a nice tree in the article though!

Quercus Ilex Info 9 years 4 months ago #13945

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

My bad. I overlooked that you were looking for tree specific care info. I'll crawl back in my cave now. :)
It is a nice tree in the article though!

Ha, no apologies needed ;) Not harm has been done. And yes, it is a nice article indeed!

Alain

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.
  • Page: