Bonsai forum

Beginner with no knowledge

• Ntaylor20
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Beginner with no knowledge was created by Ntaylor20

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14758
Hi, I'm a true beginner. I have a Ben. Ficus that I grew from a clipping... I got it about 7 years ago. I has grown in my house in a pot pretty well. It's definately pot bound and has grown to be over 6 feet tall. I never really pruned it until a month or two ago. It's now under 6 feet tall... Found a YouTube video on pruning and gave it a shot. I think it looks better and I'm trying to just keep an eye on it and have trimmed it once since the original prune. Anyway, when I pruned it I saved some of the clipping and have decided to try my hand at Bonsai. I have two small pots now... Which each contain 2 clippings (I tranfered these from water to dirt about a week ago). One clipping is about 6-7 inches tall the others are about 4 inches. I've planted them close together and in the shorter pot I've actually been twisting the trunks together. Anyway, how do I keep these starts from growing tall like my original plant did. When do I begin training/wiring them? When should I repot them... Etc. I've looked all over the Internet for guidance but I feel like the pages I'm finding start at a basic knowledge that I don't feel I have. Can someone point me in the right direction. My starts are sprouting new leaves so I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before too much longer.
Thanks.
by Ntaylor20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Craig
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 59

Replied by Craig on topic Beginner with no knowledge

Posted 9 years 1 month ago #14770
Hi Ntaylor,

I think these pages definately worth bookmarking,they most likely do not get read often enough.

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/cultivation/from-cuttings

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics
by Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.