Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese rose - will it develop a crown? 9 years 3 weeks ago #14947

• Atis
  • Atis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hi,
Accidentaly I got quite old chinese rose - some 30 years been growing in an apartment and now they wanted to get rid of it. Since it was quite big then many branches were removed to get in from point A to point B and now I have what's left of it.

I haven't had any tree with that size of a trunk and don't know how it will actually respond to what I'm planning to do. Therefore maybe someone could comment or maybe suggest to do some other ways.

Here are pictures of the tree and short info on what I'm planning to do:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Basically since tree is quite tall, I think it will be cut by 2/3 to leave height ~0.5 meters. And then the idea is just to grow nice round crown around the top of it. Since there are two more seperate trunks growing then both of them I want to remove and one will try to repot as seperate tree.

So maybe you could advise - will the seperate small tree live if it will be removed?
Maybe you see some other potential in this tree or maybe it's just not worth it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chinese rose - will it develop a crown? 9 years 3 weeks ago #14952

• Contrainer
  • Thanks received: 15
Nice tree you got there!
For a potgrown hibiscus the trunk is quite thick, which is nice.
I've found hibiscus quite hard to bend and to shape, but it is a forgiving plant that grows on and on if the temperature and humidity are right. I have no idea in what time it will develope a crown, but I guess it has to develop one.

Chinese rose - will it develop a crown? 8 years 11 months ago #15493

• Atis
  • Atis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Small update to this tree:

Now there are two trees - one with big, thick trunk and second one twice or even three times smaller. They are repotted already for few weeks and new buds appear on both trees.

• Page: