Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai Virgin 9 years 2 days ago #15377

• Patricio
  • Patricio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello! My wife just gave my this Bonsai for my birthday. I have always admired the art of Bonsai and look forward to learning more. When I first received this Chinese Juniper(?) it was a bush! Following my intuition and some very basic design principals, I carefully pruned and pinched and eventually uncovered what you see in these pix. I'd like to repot it without the standing stone, in a shallower dish and add some moss to the surface but I'm not sure if that is appropriate.

I would appreciate any of your kind thoughts and feelings about further pruning and shaping. I will do my best to care for this beautiful little guy and look forward to the day I am worthy of a more advanced species. In the meantime, thanks for having this forum and any future support.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai Virgin 9 years 2 days ago #15378

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I think it should be placed outside, remember, when it comes to any tree, it is health before looks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patricio

Bonsai Virgin 9 years 2 days ago #15379

• Patricio
Still waiting for the weather here on Cape Cod to stop dipping below freezing! Ugh!

Bonsai Virgin 9 years 2 days ago #15380

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Cape Cod is zone 7a, correct? (0 °F - 5 °F)
This is not a chinese juniper, I think it is a Juniperus Horizontalis (Creeping Juniper), hardiness zone 3 (-40 to -30 F)

Leaving this plant inside is not good for its health. However, if it has been inside always, don't put it outside right now.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Bonsai Virgin 9 years 2 days ago #15381

• Patricio
Wow, I had no idea it could withstand temps so low. I've only had it for 2 weeks and I'm not sure of it's age, It rises about 12" above the soil. My wife was told it was an "indoor/outdoor" Bonsai, but you have confirmed my suspicions (after doing some preliminary research of my own) that it belongs outside. Out it goes tonight! I guess that means I get to purchase another Bonsai- one that I can care for indoors.

Bonsai Virgin 9 years 2 days ago #15382

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Wow, I had no idea it could withstand temps so low. I've only had it for 2 weeks and I'm not sure of it's age, It rises about 12" above the soil. My wife was told it was an "indoor/outdoor" Bonsai, but you have confirmed my suspicions (after doing some preliminary research of my own) that it belongs outside. Out it goes tonight! I guess that means I get to purchase another Bonsai- one that I can care for indoors.

I think you missed a line. I recommended not to put it outside if it's used to being inside. It will need to get used to lower temperatures slowly. The age of your tree...I'd have to guess: about 10 years old.

While there are plants that survive indoors, trees do not naturally grow inside. Indoor bonsai do not exist.

Bonsai Virgin 9 years 2 days ago #15386

• Patricio
I understand, thank you. Tomorrow, I will return to where my wife purchased this plant to gain as much info as I can about it's history. Thanks for your humbling input. I can see I been a bit irresponsible. What a great opportunity to pause and rethink what it means to practice the art of Bonsai.

Bonsai Virgin 8 years 1 month ago #19835

• Harold1
  • Thanks received: 1
I would doubt very seriously that this tree has always been indoors it truly was not at all indoors at the nursery where it was purchased and if so it would not have lasted very long unless it was under ideal care in a green house and even then. The tree is most defiantly Juniper and junipers are shrubs and most do very well outside and can take the cold. As for style I see one nice long looking leader branch near at the top and then tree could easily be developed into a semi cascade or even a full cascade. Look at some different junipers and get some ideas as to the style you like and go for it.. But most defiantly keep the tree out doors and not inside.

Bonsai Virgin 8 years 1 month ago #19847

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I would doubt very seriously ...

that, to reply 10 months later, to a post of someone who was never seen since... is useful.

• Page: