Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

maple seedlings 8 years 9 months ago #16135

• jokelco
  • jokelco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Newbie just getting started, I have 3 maple that I have sprouted from seeds which are looking lovely. Wondering at what point I should consider pruning or maybe just pinching the top of the seedling to promote fuller growth. Everything I have seen says to wait 3 years before pruning, but I am not sure if the pot I have selected will support them. I appreciate any help you can offer. Joelle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

maple seedlings 8 years 9 months ago #16136

• Vanishtwenty
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi

yes you will need to leave them for some time approx 2 -3 years until there is any substance to your trees.
but leave the trees in the pot you have for as long as possible as long as they are healthy and once space becomes an issue you have a couple of options. you can either re pot them individually into larger pots one the can remain in for a long time or you can plant them in the ground so they can grow rather rapidly and size up the trunk and branches. either way works.

but don't worry about pruning or wiring for some time.

when re potting or planting you just have to think about location and climate for your particular area. sun, heat ,shade, cold , frosts etc.

Regards

Vanishtwenty ;) good luck

maple seedlings 8 years 9 months ago #16140

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
In order to get the most interesting trunks, wiring early is always a good idea. It is almost impossible to advice, without knowing what you ahve there, in terms of species and size.

In any case, Once the plants start to get stronger stems, you cannot bend them in tight loops anymore. However, if they are still too smal land young, you may kill the little ones. So you need to find a balance.

Look for baby bending online, and see www.growingbonsai.net/baby-bending/

Trimming is done with a purpose in mind. I normally get the tip out when the plant is a few inches tall. I want taper in the trunk, and I want to start that as early as possible. A tall skinny plant is of no use to me. Then you grow out ONE (!) side-branch per node; Groing two will lead to problems later on (It will create a bulge on the trunk after trimming the branch away).
You let the side branches shoot out, en sureing the lower once grow most, and every 3-6 months removing tips from the uppermost section. THat way you create a focus on ghirth in the lower section of the plant.

This is the slowest process of getting to bonsai from seed though, and needs a bit of practice & understanding of plants to do well.

You could also just let it grow to 10 feet, chop down to 2 inches and then regrow a leader. By the time 10ft is reached, you will know what to do :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

• Page: