Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Propagating from Cuttings 8 years 5 months ago #17675

• Tripleovertime
  • Tripleovertime's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm planning on taking some cuttings from various trees in my neighbourhood this week. As this is my first time doing so I have a lot of questions that I'm hoping the forum can shed light on.

1.) I'll be sticking to the basic premise that any native tree that thrives in my region should hypothetically survive as a hardwood cutting - does that sound about right?

2.) I live in Toronto, Canada which is a seriously well-treed city; so I have access to just about any species found in this region. I'm planning on gathering American Elm, some variety of Japanese Maple, Amur maple, and privet. Do I stand a good chance for successfully rooting hardwood cuttings from these species?

3.) I see a lot of different suggestions for what types of soil to plant hardwood cuttings in - does regular potting mix work well enough?

4.) Lastly, is it a deal-breaker if I can't put the cuttings in a garage of some other structure during the coldest parts of the winter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Propagating from Cuttings 8 years 5 months ago #17726

• Nikola990
  • Thanks received: 3
I hear winter's sharp in Canada,so I can only guarantee for the privet. Privet survives everything. If the end of the world is about to happen, cover yourself with privet :D Plant it in your yard,not in pots, if you can.

Propagating from Cuttings 8 years 5 months ago #17733

• Tripleovertime
  • Tripleovertime's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to keep some privet in my doomsday shelter!

I live in just about the farthest south part of Canada so my winters aren't quite as bad as what you've heard. Though, it's Canada, so it's still bloody cold...

I don't have a yard to plant in but I could keep the cuttings in pots in my unheated front porch. Would that be my best option?

Propagating from Cuttings 8 years 5 months ago #17735

• Nikola990
  • Thanks received: 3
The best option would be taking softwood cuttings in the late spring, but hardwood in the fall goes well too. As I said, it takes a real talent to stop privet's progress :) Concerning soil, if i remember correctly,they recommend 2/3 sand and 1/3 humus,but I think any potting soil would be good for it. I saw a guy on yt planted it in an ordinary potting mix, if I recall well. I did it in my garden and they're unstoppable.

Last edit: Post by Nikola990.
  • Page: