Bonsai forum

A question about cuttings

• John Smith
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

A question about cuttings was created by John Smith

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #18903
I've been toying with the idea of getting into bonsai. I've been reading a bit, although there still are quite many things that I can't say I know or understand properly yet.

The most common way to find good starting material would seem to be buying from a nursery. I'll have to see what my local nurseries have to offer once we get closer to spring, but in the meanwhile I've been considering cuttings as a side project.

I happen to know some big Willow trees that need maintenance cutting, so taking cuttings wouldn't be very difficult. The exact species is Salix Fragilis 'Bullata'. The branches that can be cut off are up to two inches in diameter.

I've read people have managed to propagate this particular species just by keeping the cutting in a bucket of water for a month or two. During that time the cutting apparently manages to develop a decent amount of roots.

The question is, if I'm completely on the wrong track to think this might be a good way to acquire a thick starting tree. To my ear two inches is sufficient for a smaller bonsai. Once the cutting would develop enough roots to start growing again, I could start focusing on developing branch structure straight away.

My aim is to skip developing a thick trunk myself, since digging a tree in the ground and waiting for it to grow for some years doesn't sound particularly interesting.

Usually when new people come here with big ideas, experienced bonsai enthusiasts immediately see several flaws in their plans. I'm hoping to find out what such flaws there are in my plan.
by John Smith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darsh

Replied by Darsh on topic A question about cuttings

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #18904
I have no idea if that would work, but it seems like a great idea.
I'm interested in some of the experienced members answers to your question too haha...
by Darsh

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic A question about cuttings

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #18907
Hi welcome,

good to hear you are giving this some thought, rather than jumping in headfirst and end up with disappointment!

- Would it work: Yes, willow roots very easily
- Is it a good idea.. Better than some, worse than some others

Let me elaborate..

Willow is not often seen in Bonsai, and I have not come across any good ones (BUt have not looked for them either!). There are a few reasons.. Willow wood is soft, and rots very easily. So a short life. Furthermore, willow drops branches when unhappy, and will repace weak branches with new ones sprouting from the trunk.

These two elements make them less suited for bonsai. However, diving in, and having 'sometign to do' is often te best way to get started.

When you select a branch, look for interesting shape, and aa smoot taper (Which could also be through cuttign all sorts of routse through a branch; You do NOT have to follow the mainbranch, but can go through the side branches.
Do all the main cutting while the branch si on the tree, and let the cuts heal a bit first; It will be a lot quicker there.

Consider air layering, rather then cutting.

J.
by leatherback

• John Smith
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by John Smith on topic A question about cuttings

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #18914
Thank you for the advice leatherback. I will give it a go and see what becomes of it. Like you said, it's good to get started on doing something. Even if this experiment never results in anything concrete, at least I will get some experience trying it.
by John Smith

• heyyou1313
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by heyyou1313 on topic A question about cuttings

Posted 8 years 1 week ago #20444
To the experienced member and the "noob" with the question... Your interaction is why I joined this site. Supportive answer without the snark, well played.

Fellow noob
by heyyou1313
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, TreanuLeaves

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic A question about cuttings

Posted 8 years 1 week ago #20446

heyyou1313 wrote: Supportive answer without the snark, well played.

While the same forum member replied, in another topic, with one word, namely:

"pfffd"

It's all about what you are asking, the interest you are showing and the time you are willing to invest in this hobby.
No one has a problem with newbies here.
by Auk

• Dominion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 28

Replied by Dominion on topic A question about cuttings

Posted 8 years 1 week ago #20448
friend of mine planted some willows few years back..

well.. planted is not exactly what they did..

they took and old willow that was going to be "terminated", they cut off 5 branches, about 4m wide and a good 2m long.. and they just stuck them a good 40cm into the ground..

my buddy now has 5 young willows in his garden.. they all rooted..

just keep them moist enough and it should work..
by Dominion

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic A question about cuttings

Posted 8 years 1 week ago #20450

Dominion wrote: they took and old willow that was going to be "terminated", they cut off 5 branches, about 4m wide and a good 2m long.. and they just stuck them a good 40cm into the ground..

my buddy now has 5 young willows in his garden.. they all rooted..

just keep them moist enough and it should work..

Yep, I have tried the same. My neighbour removed a willow. He had pruned it regularly, and I cut of some branches, with a fat base. Planted them in pots and they rooted easily. The mistake I made is that they grew much harder than I anticipated, they quicly outgrew the pots, roots filling up all space, and they dried out as a result, which I noticed too late. So, use a big enough pot :)
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Austin29012

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic A question about cuttings

Posted 8 years 1 week ago #20452
willows root better than any tree out there, as a matter of fact, if you gathered up a bunch of green willow sticks and bark, seep them in hot water, and let it sit a day or so, you would have the best rooting compound you can get. ... google it ... something they told as a kid ...

Willow trees break, easily...

If you really want a tree, that will take anything you through at it, grows fast, and just begs to be a bonsai. Really tolerant of the, to much water not enough water thing. Grows really really fast. Perfect for some one, that wants to learn how to grow a tree in a pot.

GET an ELM

they back bud really good
Last Edit:8 years 1 week ago by Samantha
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by Samantha. Reason: an extra though