Bonsai forum

Beginner oak sapling

• Ooi
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Beginner oak sapling was created by Ooi

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #19415
Hey! I'm totally new to the bonsai art, but am keen to know more! I was given an oak sapling last spring, which had some roots removed and the top third chopped off before beung planting in a little bit of soil. It lost the two leaves it had (but I assume that's natural winter behaviour) and I now see some buds forming up the stem.
My question is how to proceed? Will the buds eventually form branches? When should u begin wiring? Perhaps I should leave it as it is for another year for it to grow?
I've attached pics if its current state.
Thanks!
by Ooi

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cronic
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thanks received: 33

Replied by Cronic on topic Beginner oak sapling

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #19416
if you are being serious about this..

plant it outside in your garden for 10 years and prepare it for becoming a pre-bonsai
until than, there's nothing else even remotely connected to bonsai you can do with it..

don't keep it inside as it will die.. it's a Oak!
by Cronic

• Ooi
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Ooi on topic Beginner oak sapling

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #19417
Thanks for your reply!
I am serious, it was given to me by a gardener friend as a graduation present so has a lot of sentimental value.
I will transfer it outdoors as you suggest. Should I pot it in more soil?
I'm a total beginner, so it would be helpful to work out how to know when the plant is big enough to begin restricting its size?
by Ooi

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Beginner oak sapling

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #19418

Ooi wrote: I'm a total beginner, so it would be helpful to work out how to know when the plant is big enough to begin restricting its size?

You've got a couple of years to work that out.
Your first concern is keeping it alive. Your second concern is how to make it grow abundantly.

When you transplant it, you may consider removing the tap root. Look here (not an extensive description of how to grow a bonsai from an acorn, but I think it'll get you started):

www.angelfire.com/ca2/diablobonsai/oaks.html

I found that by using Google - 'oak bonsai from seed'.
Last Edit:8 years 2 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Auk.

• Cronic
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thanks received: 33

Replied by Cronic on topic Beginner oak sapling

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #19421

Ooi wrote: I'm a total beginner, so it would be helpful to work out how to know when the plant is big enough to begin restricting its size?

what exctly wasn't clear about

plant it outside in your garden for 10 years and prepare it for becoming a pre-bonsai
until than, there's nothing else even remotely connected to bonsai you can do with it..

by Cronic

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Beginner oak sapling

Posted 8 years 2 months ago #19432

Ooi wrote: oak sapling last spring,

It really isn't even a sapling yet, barely a seedling, i wouldn't worry about pruning and wiring for a few years. there is a bud on there though.

Oaks do not grow very fast, they do live long though.
by Samantha

• Harold1
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by Harold1 on topic Beginner oak sapling

Posted 8 years 1 month ago #19832
Yes the tree is Oak and Oaks are deciduous and should be outside and we as bonsai artists often take a smaller seedling like what you have and indeed plant it in the ground for a few years to attain trunk caliper, but its not absolutely necessary. If you wish to enjoy the tree as it is first yes I can see that it does have a couple of buds on it and if you indeed wish to leave it like it is then I would suggest repotting it before the buds form into leaves and put it into a much smaller pot the one its in is most defiantly over kill.

Let the tree grow and form more buds and leaves and then repot again the following year and so on once it is three to four years old then you could wire the trunk to get some style going and work the tree from there.. Just be patient as oaks do grow very slow.
by Harold1