Bonsai forum

Indoor Bonsai Growth

• aidanyo37
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Indoor Bonsai Growth was created by aidanyo37

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20866
I have a quick question! I want to buy a Hawaiian umbrella tree for my college dorm desk, but from the research I have done, it seems as if I will need a grow light to help it out. I was thinking of getting an LED light for the tree that way I can also use it for my desk. Would this work? Also, if this would work, would I need to keep it on all the time? Any help would be awesome!

Thank you!!
by aidanyo37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Indoor Bonsai Growth

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20868
Schefflera actinophylla is not considered a good species for true bonsai, though stores like Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, et al purport them to be. If you buy it, consider it a decorative house plant and not bonsai. As a house plant, they're easy to care for. Keep it outside in warm weather. If not an option, keep it near a window. If you don't have a window, turn on a light. If you want LED, consider offering something with more red in it. Research aquascaping lights - mostly aquarium hobby, but all about healthy indoor plant growth.

Your plant: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schefflera_actinophylla should you wish to know what you purchase.

If you'd like to learn more about bonsai, please do more research into what bonsai is, what it is not, how to avoid issues, how to ask the right questions. It will save you headaches further down the road.

Best of luck to you. ;)
by brkirkland22

• aidanyo37
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by aidanyo37 on topic Indoor Bonsai Growth

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20886
So brkirkland22, may I ask what your suggestion would be for a college dorm room? I have had two bonsai trees before, but unfortunately my dad killed them accidentally... So I want to start over now. I have a Lavender Star Flower tree and a Fukien Tea tree. I heard the Hawaiian Umbrella tree is easy to care for and take care of, so I would like something like that, but I am up for anything. And it has to be an indoor plant too, since I will be in college and because I also live in New Hampshire.
So any suggestions?
by aidanyo37

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

Replied by BonsaiLearner on topic Indoor Bonsai Growth

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20888

aidanyo37 wrote: may I ask what your suggestion would be for a college dorm room?

A houseplant; a true bonsai would probably be too much for a college student to look after, both in monetary and temporal terms (I mean time, not spiritual affairs).
by BonsaiLearner
The following user(s) said Thank You: aidanyo37

• aidanyo37
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by aidanyo37 on topic Indoor Bonsai Growth

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20890
Oh ok ok, that makes sense. So would you say that the Hawaiian umbrella is still a fine tree to have?
by aidanyo37

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Indoor Bonsai Growth

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20891
Agreed on houseplants & not bonsai. Bonsai require as much care as a pet; watering, feeding, clipping, training, taking it outside, etc - and it's something that cannot be neglected. I didn't take on more than a few fish in college, as my time & energy were far too spread out, and even they had the occasional problems typical of not being cared for properly. The old adage: If I knew then what I know now... I wouldn't recommend the resources needed for bonsai while at school. Take your time, you've plenty of it. If you want, do more research in the few off-hours you get, and you'll be better prepared for bonsai success in the future.

Yes, Hawaiian umbrella is a fine indoor plant. Spruces up the place, too. ;)
by brkirkland22

• hernandez057

Replied by hernandez057 on topic Indoor Bonsai Growth

Posted 7 years 9 months ago #23749
A Hawaiian Umbrella Tree will be good if you get the LED grow light (it comes with red and blue colors) I have mine and I bought it online and it's perfectly fine. Just take sometime for your Bonsai, it will be a good therapy to relax after the hard days of classes. My best luck for you aidanyo37. My Bonsai and Penjing mentor always told me "You are the artist". The same for you :)
by hernandez057

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43

Replied by Bunsen33 on topic Indoor Bonsai Growth

Posted 7 years 9 months ago #23750
We use LED lights for my Fukien and my husband's terrariums. We got the bulbs on Amazon.com (wide range of brightness, spectra & price), as well as a power strip with a timer built in. We use 'architect' lamps from Ikea because they are cheap and not hideous. Keep in mind that most LED lights (especially the ones that cost what we are willing to pay) are no where near as bright as outdoor lighting so having the bulbs within a few inches of the plants is important - architect lamps allow this and LED bulbs prduce no heat. We set the timer to have the lights on from 7am to 7pm.
Last Edit:7 years 9 months ago by Bunsen33
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Bunsen33. Reason: Spelling errors
The following user(s) said Thank You: hernandez057