Root over rock idea

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 4

Root over rock idea was created by RayC

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20867
Hello. I've ordered myself a ficus retusa and I've always loved the root over rock style. This is nothing I plan on doing right away just wanted to run a few things by of this idea I have. Rather than finding a rock I'm debating whether to buy something like this (see attached image) and create a miniature scene. From what I've read and seen this would involve planting the ficus into a deeper pot for a couple years to get longer roots before I could even think of doing this??

I also wonder whether kyoto moss coukd be grown on the surface of the pot? My experience with moss is that it thrives on moisture and only some sunlight. Where as I have read the ficus do not like constant moisture and appreciate full sun. Id like moss to grow to give it that deep jungle feel to the landscape.

I am still learning and have ordered this tree as not only something to learn from but a long term project and I have outline my goals. Something I am not trying to achieve right now but would like to know if I am on a correct path here?

Thanks in advance.
by RayC

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Root over rock idea

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20869
Root over rock takes years. Yes, planting the tree in a tall pot helps with getting long vertical roots, but then those roots need to be overlaid onto the rock and retained (raffia or nursery tape), and buried in soil again. When it's time to repot in a few years, take some of the soil off the top, revealing some of the roots. Repot. Wait a few more years, take some of the soil off the top. Repot. Wait a few more years. Like all of bonsai, these things don't happen overnight.
The roots won't fill in the crevices or take on the shape of the rock until they thicken. Like branches, they don't thicken readily unless you let them grow. I know you haven't started this yet, but it must be considered. I wouldn't even think of moss until you're ready to show it off. By that time, you will have researched more into Kyoto moss or any other variety you wish, maybe even have experimented with some while waiting.
Hope that helps.
by brkirkland22

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Root over rock idea

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20874
Note that if the thing you are showing is not rock, but plastic, it will not work. In the end the bonsai outlast the plastic.
by leatherback

• RayC
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 4

Replied by RayC on topic Root over rock idea

Posted 7 years 11 months ago #20879
Thanks for the awesome replies. This did match what I thought and will try to achieve this before I am an old man :lol:

Sharp eyes leatherback it is indeed plastic, I would have no intention of using plastic but probably try building something similar from rocks (I have years to find them now too before I will need them).

The kyoto moss too I can practice with.

Thanks again
by RayC