Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Japanese Red Maple 7 years 8 months ago #23889

• rtmitchell15
  • rtmitchell15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks Ed. It's looking like I have missed the ideal time to start the germination process in order to start a grow for this season. If I have to go the "seed" route, what is the best time to have them in hand to start germination? I've been reading that its best to start the grow process in early Spring. I live in Louisiana where the hot season starts a bit earlier. Is it recommended to plant germinated seeds around late March, early April? If so, I will be sure to start germinating around December.
As far as germination goes, keeping them damp and in a cool space for about 90 days is the method?

I also wanted to get thoughts on if I were able to locate a seedling ready to be planted at this point in the year, would the success rate be high enough?

I appreciate all the feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Japanese Red Maple 7 years 8 months ago #23890

• rtmitchell15
Also, does anyone recommend fertilizers with both high and low nitrogen contents?

Japanese Red Maple 7 years 8 months ago #23894

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
I don't know about all the technical stuff for your area, but try to experiment if you can. As I said, I just plant the seeds, but you can try a damp paper towel in a plastic bag or whatever else.
I don't buy seedlings but they're probably more likely to survive than seeds.
As for fertilizers, just a simple tomato fertilizer is fine for now, you can get into more complicated things like slow-release pellets later.

Ed

Japanese Red Maple 7 years 8 months ago #23897

• rtmitchell15
Thanks Ed.

I do have one last question. Regarding the initial growth process - I'll be receiving a Japanese Mountain Maple next week. It will be about 12"-18". Is it best to keep the tree in the nursery pot, or plant it in the ground for a period of time to develop to root system and nebari, then transfer it to a bonsai pot? If so, about how long? Also, during this period, would you recommend continued used of potting soil, or immediate make the switch to a bonsai specific mixture (I.e. Akadama, pumice, lava rock)?

Japanese Red Maple 7 years 8 months ago #23898

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

I'll be receiving a Japanese Mountain Maple next week. It will be about 12"-18". Is it best to keep the tree in the nursery pot, or plant it in the ground for a period of time to develop to root system and nebari, then transfer it to a bonsai pot? If so, about how long?

I always suggest planting the tree in the ground, plant the pot in the ground in order to make it ultimately easier to remove. It can take anywhere from a year to 20 depending on the size of the tree and the final height desired. Just grow it until the base of the trunk is 1/6th to 1/12th the final height.

Also, during this period, would you recommend continued used of potting soil, or immediate make the switch to a bonsai specific mixture (I.e. Akadama, pumice, lava rock)?

Potting soil is fine. The mixtures are to help the tree cope with life in a small pot.

• Page: