• Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: My 2nd attempt.

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24257

Hello this is my first post so I will first introduce myself and then talk about my current 2nd attempt at bonsai.

My name is Jason and I live in Alberta, Canada. I love it here, I love the cold and the snow, I also love the short summers. I'm new at bonsai about 2 years watching videos and Internet researching.

My first tree was a small berry tree which I dug from my property and put into a pot. It was at the wrong time of the year and put into the wrong soil amongst many mistakes. It was a complete failure. My second tree is an avacado tree which I didn't realize at the time not a good choice for bonsai. I also have a couple lemon and Chinese apple pear seedlings. All are going to be growing indoors.

I'll discuss my avacado here. It was growing great for about 8 months until I moved an hour away. After a year the leaves started browning and falling off, eventually there was very few left and I defoliated and chopped of the top in frustration. To my surprise it grew back with branches and healthier smaller leaves. The only thing I've done since is pinch the top of the tall branch.

Does anyone have any comments to how I can grow this to a nice tree? I'm a newb so I appreciate the help.

Thanks.
  • Bignose780
  • Bignose780's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 7
  • Thanks received: 0

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24259

Trying to add picture.
  • Bignose780
  • Bignose780's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 7
  • Thanks received: 0

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24261

  • Bignose780
  • Bignose780's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 7
  • Thanks received: 0

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24263

Why do you keep pinching and bothering this very young tree? You have to let it grow wild for a while to get a decent trunk, if you keep bothering it, it won't thicken up. When the roots fill the pot, move it to a bigger container. And so on.
  • eangola
  • eangola's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 450
  • Thanks received: 74

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24267

avocado are not suitable for bonsai. Just do not bother with them. They will not make a nice tree. The leaves do not reduce enough and the growth is too course.
  • leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 4509
  • Thanks received: 1489

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24269

I cut the top off because I thought it was dying and then it grew back.
  • Bignose780
  • Bignose780's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 7
  • Thanks received: 0

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24271

eangola wrote: Why do you keep pinching and bothering this very young tree? You have to let it grow wild for a while to get a decent trunk, if you keep bothering it, it won't thicken up. When the roots fill the pot, move it to a bigger container. And so on.


Did you notice he mentioned it is an avocado - which is not suitable for bonsai at all?
  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 4572
  • Thanks received: 1166

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24272

I didn't realize this when I started. When I did learn avacado isn't good for bonsai I didn't want to kill the tree so I decided to learn trial and error from it.

leatherback wrote: avocado are not suitable for bonsai. Just do not bother with them. They will not make a nice tree. The leaves do not reduce enough and the growth is too course.

  • Bignose780
  • Bignose780's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 7
  • Thanks received: 0

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24274

Bignose780 wrote: I didn't realize this when I started. When I did learn avacado isn't good for bonsai I didn't want to kill the tree so I decided to learn trial and error from it.


Yes, you wrote that before. What may not be clear:
We do not grow avocados for bonsai, as they are not suitable. In other words: no one here will be able to give you any (on topic) advice about growing avocados. I could give you some recipes, but that would be off topic too.
I suggest you find a forum about fruit. Googled for you: www.gardenweb.com/forums/avocado-growers
  • Auk
  • Auk's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 4572
  • Thanks received: 1166

My 2nd attempt. 2 years 1 week ago #24301

Auk wrote:

eangola wrote: Why do you keep pinching and bothering this very young tree? You have to let it grow wild for a while to get a decent trunk, if you keep bothering it, it won't thicken up. When the roots fill the pot, move it to a bigger container. And so on.


Did you notice he mentioned it is an avocado - which is not suitable for bonsai at all?


Had no idea. But did some quick research, and found a few pictures and articles. Seems like some people have tried? probably a waste of time.... but if OP wants to experiment, here is this article:

homeguides.sfgate.com/can-bonsai-avocado-plant-91711.html

No idea if this "homeguide" is realistic, and you might not end up with a Bonsai because of the coarse growing of the avocado.
  • eangola
  • eangola's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 450
  • Thanks received: 74
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Log in Register