• Page:

TOPIC: winter prep ideas

winter prep ideas 1 year 11 months ago #24973

I was wondering if everyone and anyone can give advice on winter storage for trees under 10 years old. It was suggested that I plant the trees (while still in their pots) in the ground.
Any opinions on that?
  • simplysaid
  • simplysaid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 46

winter prep ideas 1 year 11 months ago #24975

My trees stay where they are all year. No need to move them or do anything. Certainly would not bury them in the ground.
  • m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 303

winter prep ideas 1 year 11 months ago #24976

m5eaygeoff wrote: My trees stay where they are all year. No need to move them or do anything. Certainly would not bury them in the ground.

This depends where you live.... Where I am it is normal to have temperatures well below -10C all winter, and it can reach -30. I still have to build my cold frame. Burying them in the ground adds insulation to the roots, protecting them from frost (which is what kills them), I don't see a problem in doing this. I think you'll still need to water the tree though.
  • eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 74

winter prep ideas 1 year 11 months ago #24980

What to do really depends on your climate. How cold does it get, will there be snow, are the trees exposed to sun and wind etc. And of course, a pine is a different beast then a maple.
If you do not get severe frost )So temps not dropping to below -5c) you can just leave pretty much all plants outside. I normally place the trees together in a corner out of the sun and wind and leave them there. Except for evergreens, which stay in the sun unless we have a long term frost.

If temps are expected to drop below this -5, I move them into a verntilated shed (I have the luxury of having a shed with a semi-detached roof, which will protect against spikes in temp, but otherwise adjusts to outside temperature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simplysaid
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1494
  • Page: