Bonsai forum

Winter care of Bonsai

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Winter care of Bonsai

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #28011

tubaboy wrote: Ikea is a store that sells cheap furniture...

Guess we're not missing out on anything then. thanks
by Samantha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

Replied by tubaboy on topic Winter care of Bonsai

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #28019
Some of the system furniture isn't too bad... I'm happy with the shelves that I have... and the "bonsai" that they sell, did help me get back into Bonsai, or rather to discover what bonsai really is.. so sometimes less than optimal things can result in greater good.
by tubaboy

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Winter care of Bonsai

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #28053
I live on the ridge of a foothill, so the temps below freezing are common & the wind can be brutal. My main concerns during winter are temperature fluctuations, wind, and moisture. I have an area in the yard dedicated to wintering my trees. I lay plywood boards on the ground to keep drainage holes clear of mud & debris. I put the trees directly on the plywood, then cover in mulch up to the top of the pot. If it gets some on top of the pot, no big deal. The "insulation" reduces some of the temperature swings, at least it does in my head. A basic fence with nursery windscreen surrounds them. It keeps the deer & my dogs out of the bed and protects from most wind. I check every so often to make sure they haven't dried out, and water only as necessary if temps are sustained above freezing (usually the trees in smaller pots). Otherwise, I spend winter tooling around the forums again, making videos, reading books, & looking forward to a happy spring!
by brkirkland22

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Winter care of Bonsai

Posted 7 years 4 months ago #28054
Oh! and that's in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, USA, if you were curious of world location.
by brkirkland22