• Page:

TOPIC: Air Layering for inexpensive material

Air Layering for inexpensive material 9 months 3 weeks ago #32112

Hi,
I have been interested in getting into bonsai for a few months. I have been lurking in these forums and trying to learn what I can. I have also signed my daughter (Age 15) and I up for a bonsai class at my local nursery. One thing I have learned is that I need to not only learn the techniques but also how to care for trees in pots. I have some basic vegetable gardening experience. Since there is going to be a learning curve I'd like to have a good supply of average but inexpensive material. The material doesn't need to be great just something to learn on. I live in the north east of the United States so it is a temperature climate with maple, oaks, and white pines on my properties along with a flowering tree I am still trying to identify.

My question is this. Is it worth Air layering some 25 to 35 mm specimens? Or does that process work better with thicker material?
  • coltranem
  • coltranem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4

Air Layering for inexpensive material 9 months 3 weeks ago #32114

Air layering with that size is fine, depending on the species though it can take anywhere from a couple months to a couple years. It's a great way to add a lot trees to your collection quickly and cheaply.
what species are you trying to air layer?
The following user(s) said Thank You: coltranem
  • WuWu
  • Thank you received: 7

Air Layering for inexpensive material 9 months 3 weeks ago #32124

It is the white flowering tree. The leaves have are just starting to come out. I hope to get a better look this week to try and identify. I read I should start the air later after the leaves have set. Is that correct?
  • coltranem
  • coltranem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Page: